AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

i am looking for a good HD camcorder for family use preferably with in $800.

i am looking for good video quality, easy to transfer to computer and to burn to DVDs, easy to use(i would like to use on auto mode as i am point and shoot kind of guy)

i have done little research about HD camcorders and finally came to conclusion that panasonic hdc tm700k and canon hf s21 are good. i saw video clippings of both on youtube and thought that canon showed the videos more brighter and natural.

i went to best buy and tested panasonic tm350 and canon sf20 as the above models were not available. the picture quality with sf20 was clear and brighter and people looked more natural with the panasonic the colors looked little dull on the LCD screen and faces looked little yellowish. is there any probability that the picture might look little yellowish on LCD screen but when transferred to the computer the picture might look natural.

i will really appreciate your suggestions, and please suggest if you think other camcorders might be good for my situation then the above said

Thanks,

Raj

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Tough choice... I've had an older Panny model and it was great, very reliable, awesome colors easy to use. I didn't notice the yellow tint with people's faces, but again is was a different model.

A couple of years ago we bought a Cannon HV20 hi def and again, very happy with it. Excellent picture when enough lighting, a bit standard def looking with low light but that's to be expected with any camcorder in the $800 range.

I haven't checked lately, but my main problem was transferring HD from mini DV to some form of hi def dvd format, like that AVCHD format. Software is hard to use and unreliable, takes long time to convert and there are problems playing the discs in all players. They hurried up with the HD camcorders without first making sure there is reliable software to transfer hd picture to dvd. I mean, why would I buy an HD camcorder if I have to transfer my video to regular 480p dvds???

Again, this was 2 years ago... Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Which Best Buy has a TM350 on display?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.