AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to search around, but for some reason there is no good single reference thread on antennas. So far it looks like most folks just use UHF antennas.

I went to antennaweb. org. These are the only stations I'm interested in and I can do without Fox if I need to.

* yellow KTUL-DT 10 ABC Tulsa OK Now Live 92°

* yellow KOKI-DT 22 FOX Tulsa OK Now Live 355°

* yellow KOED-DT 38 PBS Tulsa OK Nov 1 2003 76°

* yellow KTFO-DT 42 UPN Tulsa OK Now Live 74°

* yellow KOTV-DT 55 CBS Tulsa OK Now Live 76°

* yellow KJRH-DT 56 NBC Tulsa OK Now Live 76°

I need an indoor/attic UHF/VHF antenna for Zip 74008 - I have UHF and VHF stations all within 15-30 miles. My cable run will be quite long if to the attic - I'd guess 80 feet or so.

If that isn't enough info to go on, I'll be checking back and can answer your questions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I appreciate the reply, I already knew which TYPE. I am looking for a specific recommendation. It says medium multi-directional. Great. But that doesn't mean much to me. If I told you, "You need a four door sedan" would that help in picking out a car?

·
Registered
241 Posts
OTA reception is trial and error. You could start simple, Top of the TV (Zenith "Silver Sensor" from Circuit City) and work you way up to larger antennas. If the TV top solution doesn't work, try the Channel Master 3020 from Lowes or equivalent at Radio Shack. Just make sure you can return the antennas if they don't give you good results. If you wish to try a pre-amp, I would suggest the Channel Master Spartan from Lowes also. Good Luck!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I tried this approach (start small and see if I need more) and started with the Zenith Silver Sensor (ZHDTV1 I think). I got the antenna for about $25 at buy.com. I am only interested in the same networks you seem to be interested in and all were in the yello for me as well. Moving the antenna to a point as close to a window as I could and pointing in direction of the broadcast (all seem to broadcast from the same mountain about 30 or so miles away), I get all of these channels and more.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I added a reply to a thread which was discussing antenna's. I had a terk TV55, but am now using a CM 4228 + single channel YAGI for the one VHF digital station. the Terk will be for sale at a reasonable price ([email protected]). My total cable runs exceed 150 feet and involve a Satellite multiplexor (Terk 5x8) so I added an extra all band RF amp from RS. See the thread for the details

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcrash
While I appreciate the reply, I already knew which TYPE. I am looking for a specific recommendation. It says medium multi-directional. Great. But that doesn't mean much to me. If I told you, "You need a four door sedan" would that help in picking out a car?
You are thinking about antennaweb.org, titantv.com gives you a specific recommendation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TheOski
You are thinking about antennaweb.org, titantv.com gives you a specific recommendation.
Have you tried it? I didn't just not try it. I went to the site and it told me "medium multi-directional antenna."

That's it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcrash
Have you tried it? I didn't just not try it. I went to the site and it told me "medium multi-directional antenna."

That's it.
Well if I choose ABC, CBS and NBC I get

Winegard's Prostar 7005

If I choose only NBC I get

Antennacraft's AC-9

Cant get more specific than this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, for my address choosing just abc, nbc and cbs, it simply gives medium multidirectional antenna.

Can't get more vague than that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
jcash,

The only problem with the combined UHF/VHF antennas is that they tend to be lower gain on the UHF side vs the dedicated UHF models. Couple that with the desire to mount in the attic, and the signal is cut almost in half.

If you can combine antennas, I would get a good medium multi-directional UHF like the Channelmaster 4228 or the Antennas Direct DB2, then use an antenna combiner to join it to your existing VHF antenna to receive ABC channel 10.

good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.