AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57" Hitachi Digital Projection TV 57F59A

I'm a proud owner of a Sammy HL-S6187W. I make this thread because yesterday I got a call from my aunt saying she just bought a T.V. The one listed above. Now...for the past 2 months since I've had MY Sammy DLP....I thought the picture look mighty impressive....but after watching some of my aunts T.V.....man, I can't help but feel that she got ripped off. My T.V. is like....true HD while hers is just....hmmm...no where near the quality of mine. I felt awful cause I was really excited for her since they're big movie watchers in their home.

I want to help them out. I've heard that CRT based projection T.V.'s are still tough to beat in certain aspects....after last night...I wonder how that is to no end. But yeah...I want to help them out in getting the best picture that T.V. can give. It should at least come close to my Sammy 6187 but it's no where near. Close is all I ask for.

I'm planning on taking my 360 including the HD-DVD add-on to give the T.V. the best feed I can give it, HD-DVD. With that...I'm going to gauge just how well the T.V. can perform. From what I saw last night....man, the picture is blurry, undefined, cloudy-like and a little on the dark side.

I know all about cables, HD-locals and all that good stuff. If anything...I'm wondering if some of you CRT HDTV guys, the little that are left of ya, could lend me a helping hand in suggesting some settings for this T.V. to make it perform better? Thank you so very much!

·
Registered
83 Posts
the word appears to be that these hitachi look much better with a some adjusting. There are a couple of threads on here the go into a lot of detail about the adjustments you can make, some in the service menu which is a bit tricky. I don't know how close you can come to the Sammy but you can probably getting it looking alot better.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
A good manual convergence would be a good 1st step. Also a run through with one of the set-up discs(AVIA, DVE etc..) will help alot. Keep in mind that if there is alot of ambient light in the room a CRT RPTV has a hard time competing with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'll take my Hitachi over a current Samsung DLP in a heartbeat.

But I'm a huge DIYer who enjoys tweaks and mods. The Hitachi RP-CRT is a great set, but it's something I wouldn't recommend to most people. It's not like other digital sets where you have to unpack it from the box, adjust the color/brightness settings, and call it a day.

You get what you give with these sets. The more you put into them, the more you get out. This is not something that appeals to most people.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with mdelling and paul33993 posts above, also once the tv is broken in (100+ hrs.) you can do the final adjustments and they will stick for sure. After that all you need to do is the convergence every 6 mos. to a year.....and a optics cleaning every couple of years but that depends on the room/dust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Hitachi 57F59A, out of the box it looks crappy, takes about a 100hrs to break in, after that start the tweaking, the factory settings are crappy, contrast is way to high, MAKE SURE SHE TURNS IT DOWN OR THE LIFE OF THE TV WILL BE REALLY SHORT, these are my setting they might be a good starting point,

CON-40

Bright-55

Color-50

Tint middle

Sharpness-35

color temp-Standard(this is a must I think)

Edge enhance-OFF

Black enhance-OFF

Noise Reduction-OFF

You will need to change these settings for each input.

set the Virtual HD to 1080i(this sets native res is 1080i so if your using 360 us 1080i)

After 100hrs of run time, turn the set on let it run for at lest 20 mins, then do the magic focus, if you what to get the focus even tighter after the magic focus you can do the 9 point manual, and even better the 119 point.

Also if shes going over the air, THIS TV DOES NOT DO OVER THE AIR HD(some say it does but it does not i looked on Hitachi web site),YOU NEED An HD CABLE BOX, it has a digital tuner it takes digital over the air and upverts it(the upvert is not so hot in my opinion) a HD cable box is a must(that why this tv is a HD monitor). Get the settings good do the focus and get an HD Cable box with good components or hdmi and this set will be great (as good as yours) she will be good to go, the all you need to do is a magic focus about every 6 months or so. Oh yea also since this is a 57 in the optimum viewing distance will be a bit further that smaller tvs, and crts look better in dim lighting.

I have the settings like above and I have also done some service menu tweaks(i dont know if you what to go this deep into tweaking it but there are info on this on the site), and my tv is better that my friends 3000 lcd, NOT MAKING THIS UP.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How about returning it? My last set was the 57" Hitachi; there is no comparison with the 6187. I think some salesman ripped her off. If there is any chance of a straight return, do it, and buy somewhere else on general prinicpal. Otherwise work out an exchange.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Personal responsibility. Consumers "auntie" needed to do research before buying.

btw: The Hitachi 57F59A is a very good HDTV

·
Registered
15,216 Posts
In all honesty, CRT RPTV require A LOT of work to look optimal - at least compared to a good DLP.

My father just purchased a 50" Samsung DLP. I purposely had him avoid CRT RPTV because of the inherent "maintenance" issues and he watches a lot of cable news with ticker tapes - no worry of burn-in with DLP.

I think she would be better off with a good digital display IMO.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/0

In all honesty, CRT RPTV require A LOT of work to look optimal - at least compared to a good DLP.

- no worry of burn-in with DLP.

1) A LOT of work.....Really ???

out of the box factory setting of the F59 RP CRT looks bad.........agreed.

But as Natep posted above all you need are these settings as a start and you good to go

"CON-40

Bright-55

Color-50

Tint middle

Sharpness-35

Edge enhance-OFF

Black enhance-OFF

Noise Reduction-OFF

set the Virtual HD to 1080i(this sets native res is 1080i so if your using 360 us 1080i"

2) You got to be an Stone cold idiot to burn-in these new displays

3)Personal opinions, and we all got them. "auntie" must had a reason to buy the display she did, exceptionally with the hard sell the retailers are giving digital displays

But to each his/her own............good day to ya

·
Registered
15,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 /forum/post/0

1) A LOT of work.....Really ???

out of the box factory setting of the F59 RP CRT looks bad.........agreed.

But as Natep posted above all you need are these settings as a start and you good to go

"CON-40

Bright-55

Color-50

Tint middle

Sharpness-35

Edge enhance-OFF

Black enhance-OFF

Noise Reduction-OFF

set the Virtual HD to 1080i(this sets native res is 1080i so if your using 360 us 1080i"

2) You got to be an Stone cold idiot to burn-in these new displays

3)Personal opinions, and we all got them. "auntie" must had a reason to buy the display she did, exceptionally with the hard sell the retailers are giving digital displays

But to each his/her own............good day to ya

1. Each display needs its own individual calibration to look optimal. It's not so simple you can just exchange settings and except the other display to look optimal...especially with CRT RPV. Room/ambeint light alone can throw "your" settings out the window. Having owned two different CRT RPTV displays, yes they need a lot of work to look optimal. The need to be convergened at least several times a year (Flash or Magic focus is crap), electrostatic and manual focus needed at least initally, CRTs and mirror need to be dusted once or twice a year, aside from the usual stuff such as grayscale, etc. I'm not quite sure his aunt is going to want to do all of these things.

2. CRT RPTV are no different today than years ago in this regard. Burn-in will occur if you watch something with a lot static images. One would have to be an idiot to not understanding this, nor the nature of CRT. If you keep the contrast low and watch a variety of material, it may not be an issue. But, some people watch a lot of certain programming with images/new tickers....or video games for instance. Burn in is a real issue believe it or not. Just something to consider.

3. CRT RPTV can look great. I have a two-year-old Sony KP-57WS520 and love the image. But, it takes me quite a bit of work to make it look "optimal." When I look at CRT RPTV like mine which have not been taken care of as I mentioned, they don't look very good and a digital display is much less maintenance in this regard - and will look better by comparision. If you look at CRT RPTV that have gone a few years without any of the mentioned above, they usually look very dim, murky, soft, and have very unattractive images. But, when kept up, they can look great. Problem is, most people do not keep up their TVs which I why I would recommend a digital display for most people.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow i really if they wanted to rip her of i dont think a sales man would try and sell here a 900 tv he would prob take her over to the over priced lcds and stuff (duh) he gets more $ for selling a more expensive tv.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:

1. Each display needs its own individual calibration to look optimal. It's not so simple you can just exchange settings and except the other display to look optimal...especially with CRT RPV. Room/ambeint light alone can throw "your" settings out the window. Having owned two different CRT RPTV displays, yes they need a lot of work to look optimal. The need to be convergened at least several times a year (Flash or Magic focus is crap), electrostatic and manual focus needed at least initally, CRTs and mirror need to be dusted once or twice a year, aside from the usual stuff such as grayscale, etc. I'm not quite sure his aunt is going to want to do all of these things.

2. CRT RPTV are no different today than years ago in this regard. Burn-in will occur if you watch something with a lot static images. One would have to be an idiot to not understanding this, nor the nature of CRT. If you keep the contrast low and watch a variety of material, it may not be an issue. But, some people watch a lot of certain programming with images/new tickers....or video games for instance. Burn in is a real issue believe it or not. Just something to consider.

3. CRT RPTV can look great. I have a two-year-old Sony KP-57WS520 and love the image. But, it takes me quite a bit of work to make it look "optimal." When I look at CRT RPTV like mine which have not been taken care of as I mentioned, they don't look very good and a digital display is much less maintenance in this regard - and will look better by comparision. If you look at CRT RPTV that have gone a few years without any of the mentioned above, they usually look very dim, murky, soft, and have very unattractive images. But, when kept up, they can look great. Problem is, most people do not keep up their TVs which I why I would recommend a digital display for most people.

Wow if doing the 9point or 119point manaul converg every 6 months or so it to much i guess we should put a toilet in your lazy boy for you.

also i play 360 all the time burn in is a non issue, unless you leave it the same game on for 2 day or some thing.

·
Registered
15,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natep /forum/post/0

Wow if doing the 9point or 119point manaul converg every 6 months or so it to much i guess we should put a toilet in your lazy boy for you.

Is it too much for you to learn how to write a complete thought with proper grammar and spelling?

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:

My father just purchased a 50" Samsung DLP. I purposely had him avoid CRT RPTV because of the inherent "maintenance" issues and he watches a lot of cable news with ticker tapes - no worry of burn-in with DLP.

lol this is funny
once you have a crt rptv set up correctly you may have to touch up the convergence every year maybe two. second thing is a dlp does need about as much work as the crt rptv, ever heard of a bulb that dlp's need about every year or two and by the sound of it your father will be needing a new bulb often probably at $200+ a pop, i bet he will really be thanking you then lol. don't take me the wrong way about dlp they have a nice pic ,but they have flaws to and the biggest is the bulb's that have to be replaced so often. hopefully for his sake him or you know how to change them (bulbs) or thats another $50+ for a tech to come out and change it for him.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Natep, and anyone else who has bought their 1st CRT RPTV in the last year or so. I am one supporter on this board of CRT based RPTV's of many here. However DavidHir is not giving out false advice at all. CRT's do require more work to keep looking good. With that work (IMO) they are the best looking sets available, save maybe a few of the 1080p sets available. As i posted early in this thread lots of windows and ambient light in a room can make a CRT RPTV have a hard time showing a good picture. If you are going to be able to help (or the OP help his aunt) someone with the set as far as set-up and convergence, cleanings and such, they are a great value. Take a look at this thread starting at post #1779 and a few after that of pics of the inside of my set after 3 years of no cleaning. Most older folk or people that don't like to tinker with their stuff(unlike most of us here) would be unwilling to do this cleaning procedure which should really be done once a year to keep these type of sets looking their best. CRT is not for everyone now that the relatively maintanence free Digital sets are readily available. But for those of us willing to keep them up, They are a bargain and among the bestlooking sets available. Here is the link mentioned above, start at post #1779 and these photos will apply to all CRT RPTV's regardless of brand as far as cleaning and dust accumulation inside the set.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=60&pp=30

·
Registered
15,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye /forum/post/0

lol this is funny
once you have a crt rptv set up correctly you may have to touch up the convergence every year maybe two. second thing is a dlp does need about as much work as the crt rptv, ever heard of a bulb that dlp's need about every year or two and by the sound of it your father will be needing a new bulb often probably at $200+ a pop, i bet he will really be thanking you then lol. don't take me the wrong way about dlp they have a nice pic ,but they have flaws to and the biggest is the bulb's that have to be replaced so often. hopefully for his sake him or you know how to change them (bulbs) or thats another $50+ for a tech to come out and change it for him.

A bulb will last 5,000 to 8,000 hours. In addition, his extended warranty will cover one bulb.....so the bulb issue is not an issue here. You DO NOT need a tech to change it. It can be done by anyone who knows how to read and follow directions. Yes, he understands all of this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.