AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need suggestions on the following.

1. I am planning to set up a 5.1 HT in my living room. I can not have floor-standing/in-wall speakers (Wife does not agree
). So decided to have in-ceiling speakers. ( I know that is not the best option, but I have no choice).

Thinking about the following. I had listened to both and impressed with them.

a) Martin Logan Helos - 10 or Helos-100 --> 4 Ohms/100 Wats

b) Speaker Craft AIM 8 Three --> 8 Ohms/100 Wats.

Which one do you suggest between these two? or any other ?

2. If decided to go with Helos, I also need a suggestion on a receiver that is capable of driving these 4 Ohms speakers.

3. I might go with sub that is around $500-$600

My budget is around 3K for all (5 in-celing speakers, sub, receiver).

Thank You

·
Registered
122 Posts
You forgot one other option. You could get a different wife. This is what I did (not by choice though) HAHA!!!!!

Seriously though - Ummmm....Never heard them with my own ears, but from what I have heard from other people; Speakercraft makes some pretty darn good in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. As far as the amp is concerned; finding something that is 4-ohm stable might require you to get separates. I could be wrong though. Of course, if you get the Speakercrafts you don't have to worry about that.

Just out of curiousity - why is she OK with in-ceiling but not in-wall? You can paint the grill covers the same color as the walls are and probably wouldn't even notice them. Just a thought - but I totally understand if you gotta do what you gotta do!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response jake.

We have a 5.1 rough-in for in-ceiling speakers (provided by the builder) in the living room. So want to utilize that.

Does anyone know, how difficult it is to install the in-ceiling speakers, if there is already a rough-in available ? I've checked in local best-buy geek squad. They said, they will do it for $200, provided we buy the speakers from them

·
Registered
122 Posts
OK, that's a pretty good reason to get in-ceiling speakers.

Do you know exactly where all the wires are? If so, you just gotta cut holes in the drywall, connect the speaker wire and the speaker should have clamps built in to hold it in place to the drywall. Your 2 main concerns would be cutting a hole in the wrong spot accidently, or cutting the hole too big - OOPS! Measure twice, cut once and make sure you are cutting in the right place. Piece of cake and you save $200.00.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.