AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old reliable dlink dir655 isn't as reliable any more as it drops frequently now.

My modem is situated in the basement and will remain there. I have a two story house and need a signal that covers the whole house . My desktop is next to router and my AV setup is in next room about 35 ft away . I want to use a bridge to hook up my AV ( WD media, xbox, yamaha receiver). There is 4 smart phones , 2 tablets and 2 laptops , a sonos system and a NAS DRIVE .

My dlink never reached 2nd storey until my son used a linksys as a signal repeater. I wish to find something new that can cover whole house. We do have a few things that can use the 5ghz band.

Am open to recommendations

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
300 dollar budget is way more than enough.

If you focus on the speed for the wireless I'd say that is not what you want to look at. Hard to find any router that doesn't support faster wireless protocols now. For data throughput you want to look at muscle, the CPU.

You get what you pay for with routers as with anything. You can find bargain routers with good wireless protocol support but will choke if you hook up NAS and place a demand on the data throughput.

The Asus RT-N66 already mentioned is a good balance of performance and price. Move up to the Asus 68U and gain a bit more CPU muscle.

As far as I know in terms of what is available in the market the Netgear Nighthawk is currently the most powerful CPU "out there" at the moment.

I have an Asus RT-N66u, have multiple NAS devices for archived TV shows and movies, several wireless clients as well as wired clients. IF I have a full iso bluray and a couple of family mbrs hitting the wifi I can experience some network lag which shows up as the movie stalling when playing it back. The RT-N66u runs out of muscle in that context. Same bluray just the movie as a mkv, people hammering the router via wifi, etc., and have no playback issues.

If I was going to regularly archive full bluray iso's and feed a media player I'd be looking at a more powerful router, not faster wifi protocols. I don't do full blown iso's, I do just the movie and mkv files.

Again for the price/performance the RT-N66U great value. They are available most places. However if I was buying new router today I'd spend just a bit more money and get the Asus 68 or Netgear's Nighthawk. Both are around 200.

The not released yet Asus 87 will probably be mid 200's and has some amazing stats.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you haven't read this recent post, it's probably worthwhile:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1509159/router-advice

I also have an Asus RT-N66U and I'm pretty happy with it. That said, mine is also located in the basement and I have some weak areas on the second floor. I need to play with antenna positioning to see if that solves it. I'm prepared, if necessary though, to add an RT-N56U as an access point.

I've heard generally good things about the high end Asus and Netgear AC routers, already mentioned in these threads. Are they a one size fits all device that can be placed in a non-optimal position in the basement and cover the whole house, though? I haven't tried it, but I'm not convinced - there are some physical realities associated with wireless networking that I don't think AC solves much better than N.

So, while I certainly think the advice you are getting on an AC router is good advice, here's another point of view. All the devices in my home are N. We've recently done a round of upgrades, so we're going to be N for several years. I can buy both an RT-N66U and an RT-N56U (hardwire between them) for about the same price as AC68U or the Netgear Nighthawk, and I'm sure I'll get better coverage in my multi-story house with 2 stations rather than just one. As always, your mileage my vary...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Linksys ea6900 is fast and no drops in the 3 months I've had it. We stream HD movies via synology NAS to 2 tv's all the time as well as using wireless simultaneously with no problems. I've tested it with 4 streams (3 wired 1 wireless) and no issues. The streams are either Netflix/Apple HD or MKV Blu Ray rips. Oh and I've done the 4 stream testing with Sonos running in 3 zones as well and it still worked.

Although the Cisco/Linksys e4200 it replaced didn't hiccup on the same test either. We upgraded because we have 2 new AC wireless clients. Of course YMMV.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Sounds like an SAT question. How is the way wireless connections are going to be managed on Wave 2 devices similar to the difference between how a hub and a switch worked for wired LAN connections?

The answer is....

Wireless clients are going to share one wireless stream, connection, channel, whatever it is you want to call it, so as to need to share bandwidth for data flow in a similar way as a switch allowed full bandwidth dataflow as compared to hub which saw degradation in throughput due to sharing bandwidth across multiple ports.

Something along those lines?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts