AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys. You've probably seen me over in the sub and receiver sections, but I'm getting a house built and had the option to do a home theater option. With this, I am getting in wall speakers - 5.1. I originally thought that I could only get Speaker Craft; however, I contacted the contractor today and he stated he really liked Speaker Craft, but he could also get Klipsch, PSB, Boston Acostic, and other brands. He said I'd have to figure out what I like and he'd price them. 

Here's some information about my room setup:

The first floor is 40' long, which includes the family room that is 19'5"x13'. The first floor is an open floor plan that has the family room flow into the breakfast nook area and kitchen.

Here are the receiver and subwoofer options I'm interested in:

Receiver: Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020

Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000

If you guys can provide me with speaker suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I'd say my price range is under $1,000.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Wow that is an incredible price haha. I'm going to mention that but I highly doubt it haha

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just out of curiosity, how would these be any better than the speaker craft AIM7 MT Three's that I was originally going to purchase? By looking at the specs (I'm not too familiar with how to compare) but it looks like the specs are almost identical.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24509212

Just out of curiosity, how would these be any better than the speaker craft AIM7 MT Three's that I was originally going to purchase? By looking at the specs (I'm not too familiar with how to compare) but it looks like the specs are almost identical.

Specs do not tell the whole story - I am not a big fan of the SpeakerCraft sound signature.

However, SpakerCraft may be for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24509402

Specs do not tell the whole story - I am not a big fan of the SpeakerCraft sound signature.

However, SpakerCraft may be for you.

So other than specs what should I be looking for? I've never had any speakers so I have no bias toward speaker craft. What would be a good set of speakers I could get for under $1,000? NOT including a sub - just speakers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Anyone have any opinions on any of the following speakers:

Boston Acoustics

- HSi-475

- HSi-575

- VSi-555W2

- VSi-575

Definitive Technology

- UIW BP/A

Klipsch?

The goal is to get the best sound with the SVS PB-2000 or SVS PB12-Plus subwoofer and either the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 or 1030.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
The Boston VSi series is their high-end speakers on close-out pricing - Boston makes

good stuff, and are good for home theater and music. Their HSi series is mid-level.

Enjoy the adventure - Definitive also makes some nice stuff

Your option and call

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24510068

The Boston VSi series is their high-end speakers on close-out pricing - Boston makes

good stuff, and are good for home theater and music.Their HSi series is mid-level.

Enjoy the adventure - Definitive also makes some nice stuff

Your option and call

I never imagined how hard this would be. Especially because we don't have many home theater shops around here in the Pittsburgh area - at least not that I know of

·
Registered
295 Posts
How much is the contractor getting the Speakercrafts for? They retail for $559.99 at Best Buy (I didn't look anywhere else) so a $1,000 budget doesn't add up.

I am going to ask a question for you since we talked about it over on OS

The contractor is wiring it with 16 gauge. Should KHarmo bother with asking the contractor to bump it up to 14 or 12 gauge?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24511299

How much is the contractor getting the Speakercrafts for? They retail for $559.99 at Best Buy (I didn't look anywhere else) so a $1,000 budget doesn't add up.

I am going to ask a question for you since we talked about it over on OS

The contractor is wiring it with 16 gauge. Should KHarmo bother with asking the contractor to bump it up to 14 or 12 gauge?

The pricing of the speakers I do not know. It was going to be 1199 for five speakers, wiring, and labor.

As far as wiring goes, it's already done ha

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to a local magnolia location to see what u can listen to tonight.

Since I'm new to this, I didn't see anything wrong with speakercraft and couldnt find any poor reviews. But after getting opinions on here it seems like they're bad speakers from other people's opinions.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24512913

What was the contractor's reason for them needing to be in wall? Or was that an executive decision by the wife?

Haha no I'm not that whipped ;-) 

The contractor offered a home theater option that was either in wall or in ceiling. However, I am getting the center speaker boxed - not in the wall. 

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I guess you couldn't just have him wire to a faceplate like this and get traditional speakers on a shelf? I don't think people are against the Speakercraft, but if you did a poll 99% would pick a normal speaker over in wall.

Or just dig out a basement and go all out with a true 7.2 system with a 130" projection screen

Has he said anything about the placement of the speakers? There is optimal position for each speaker that he should take into account.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24513105

So I guess you couldn't just have him wire to a faceplate like this and get traditional speakers on a shelf? I don't think people are against the Speakercraft, but if you did a poll 99% would pick a normal speaker over in wall.

Or just dig out a basement and go all out with a true 7.2 system with a 130" projection screen

Has he said anything about the placement of the speakers? There is optimal position for each speaker that he should take into account.

I went to the magnolia store tonight and I actually liked the SpeakerCraft In wall and in ceiling speakers. I think with my size room it's not really going to matter. However, I'm having him inquire on the Boston acoustics vsi575 and vsi555. Also, I had some suggestions on receivers. If you check out my receiver thread let me know if you have any thoughts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey guys. I need your help in trying to figure out which speakers to go through with. I'm hoping to keep the budget under $1,300. I'm doing front left and right and two rear surrounds in wall - the front boxed. 

As I previously stated, the contractor is looking into the Boston Acoustics vsi575 and vsi555. I was just wondering if you guys had any other suggestions. I've seen Klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins, Def Tech, Speaker Craft as possibilities 

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24518520

Hey guys. I need your help in trying to figure out which speakers to go through with. I'm hoping to keep the budget under $1,300. I'm doing front left and right and two rear surrounds in wall - the front boxed. 

As I previously stated, the contractor is looking into the Boston Acoustics vsi575 and vsi555. I was just wondering if you guys had any other suggestions. I've seen Klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins, Def Tech, Speaker Craft as possibilities 

Look at Energy CF series. With your AVR you need high sensitivity speaker to sound open without strain and I think CFs have in-room 96db sensitivity (93 anechoic)

However, with your budget I think JBL L890 will be the best bang for the buck. They are awesome looking and sound great for HT and music. I had bought a pair 5 years ago and have had and sold speakers such as B&W and Sonus Faber for my music room. I still have the JBLs in my HT room and I think they perform up there with all the big boys.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gago1101  /t/1523520/need-suggestions-for-new-speakers#post_24519133

Look at Energy CF series. With your AVR you need high sensitivity speaker to sound open without strain and I think CFs have in-room 96db sensitivity (93 anechoic)

However, with your budget I think JBL L890 will be the best bang for the buck. They are awesome looking and sound great for HT and music. I had bought a pair 5 years ago and have had and sold speakers such as B&W and Sonus Faber for my music room. I still have the JBLs in my HT room and I think they perform up there with all the big boys.

Okay I will definitely look into both of those.

Does anyone have or know anything about Triad? I updated the contractor with my receiver choice (Denon X4000) and my subwoofer choice (PB12-Plus) and he recommended the Triad brand.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts