AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning the process of moving up to plasma and HD and want to start in my office where I currently have a 13" sitting approximatly 4' - 4/12' away from my desk. I'm wondering what size I should be considering? I have a MYHD system in my computer that outputs HD 'off air' and will start with that, and probably upgrade one of my DTV systems to HD.

Anyone care to make some suggestions on a size and brand system? Since this is for my office, I'd like to keep the budget on the lower end. Of course budgets are always releative, so suggest away and I'll begin my research.

Thanks,

Roveer

·
Registered
333 Posts
To avoid going blind and not getting any work done.....think small.

23" Sony LCD Widescreen

30" Sony LCD

30" Mitsubishi LCD

37" Panasonic Plasma (old mode)

37" Panasonic Plasma (new model)

32" Sony Plasma.

Prices range from $2000-$4500.

Some of these small 20-23" Panasonic LCD panels have a built in

DVD player.

I am sure most of these screens are 16:9 widescreen, but are SD not HD

(800x480 = 480i/480p and not 1024x768 = 720p). The plasma would downconvert the signal from your HD tuner in your PC to 480p.

These choises are bad for the home.....for 4' viewing distance in the office you have to think small. For home think big 42-50" plasmas HD.

As I understand it you want a TV and not a computer screen.

The computer screen choices are different.

All the Panasonic models come in a consumer model and a commercial model. The commercial models are $1000 cheaper. You can't buy them in retail stores...only online/industrial AV companies.

I am jealous....

·
Registered
333 Posts
One more thing.

37" Panasonic Plasma's from last year are being discontinued and will be dirt cheap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I'd give this message a bump as I'm still looking for suggestions for HD LCD's for my office.

So far I've looked at the Sony 23" and some of the Samsung's. Sony is a nice package but their mention of HD seems a little misleading. If I remember correctly it does 720p but not 1080i. Can someone explain if not having 1080i is 'deficient' as far as supporting HD goes.

Samsungs seem pretty nice, although I've seen some information indicating that they were going to have a bunch of different sizes between 17 and 32, but I don't see them on their web site. What happened with that?

Looking for other input. Anyone using a TV between say 19 and 32 that gives an absolutely stunning picture and can driven (eventually by an HD set top)?

Thanks.

Roveer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.