AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi All,

I am in the process of building a house, and before I get to the framing stage I want to have worked out what cabling I need to do in order to be able to Connect my PC video card (HDMI out) to my 3 TV's, so I can watch whatever is on my PC from my 3 TV's. And the problem I can foresee is that my graphics card has HDMI out, but it does not produce audio along this HDMI cable. The video card is HDMI Audio out capable... So is it possible for a 3 way splitter to be places in my roof? All 3 splits need to be active simultaneously though, all the ones I see on eBay can only forward the HDMI signal down one line at a time, not all 3 at once...

Has anyone got a solution for this?

Things to note:

--the TV unit has a smart TV and surround sound system

--the outdoor TV is a regular LCD TV with standard inputs. But for this I am thinking of mounting 2 x standalone speakers under our alfresco area, but I am worried that the audio out on my PC will not be powerful enough to power these speakers. 

--the TV in Bed 1 is also a regular LCD stand alone TV.

Anyone out there doing something similar?

cheers

·
Registered
516 Posts
Enjoy your new home. We're just finishing plans and I'm in the process of planning our AV systems. You're going to want to use HDBASET to distribute hdmi reliably. You'll also need to upgrade your video card to include audio (cheaper than any work around). Make sure you take in to account any future proofing (speaker wires) for upgrades down the road.

All you need is cat 6 from the pc to each tv and then an hdbaset system with 3 output s. For some reason going over 2 gets pricey. .. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091403&p_id=10226&seq=1&format=2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the reply JustBusiness

Are you able to explain how this HDBaseT works? I see there is a 'base' type unit which must sit next to my PC, and I assume that each TV needs some kind of decoder to go from the ethernet cable back to HDMI?

Something I did not mention earlier, is that I have a 24 port switch, and an ethernet port running to each TV, this is purely for future proofing when all TV's will need internet connectivity. With this device do I need a dedicated ethernet line from my Study to each TV, or can I just add an extra ethernet from the switch to each TV? 

Thanks very much for your time.

-Cheers

·
Registered
663 Posts
You will want to run your video signals over a separate category cable from your data cabling. The use of a shielded cat6 for your HDBaseT usually makes the install less prone to troubles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you thought about using an HTPC running plex? Our HTPC is in our theater and plays our lossless content directly from the PC (box can hold up to (5) 4tb hdds) to our processor. Then Plex will also stream them to any plex compatible device - in our case, AppleTVs connected to the other 3 tvs in the house. No need for wires other than internet.

EDIT: grammar

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I second the plex solution. I use plex in my house and it's nice. And the best part it's free. If I was building a house and had access now to cabling I would add no less then 4 cat6 lines per TV locations. You can get a 1000 feet of cat 6 for around 150 bucks I think at your local HD or similar type store. Or just go to www.monoprice.com and order some. In my oppionon the more network drops the better. If you don't end up using them no biggie but if you need them you'll be happy you have them. The reason I say 4 minimum is you can use them for many things that you may not think of now. For instance they can be used for HDMI signals that are longer then a normal hdmi cable can handle. This would requrire 2 cat6 lines however per run. So if you think about it you may want to plug your smart TV, A Blueray player, Xbox, Roku (or similar streaming box) into the network at a TV location. Yes all these can use Wifi and some would be fine that way. But any that you plan to stream HD video I recommend a hard line or you may have issues.

Back on the plex thing you just need something setup as your plex "server" on your network. I use a PC that I leave on all the time. You can have multiple locations for your actual movie storage locations IE multiple external HD's, nas device etc. Then any device that will work with plex you can use connected to your TV. Roku's work fine, Google TV boxes, PC's, AppleTV. You can google plex and look on their main site to get a list of compatable devices. Some Samsung smart TV's also have a plex app that you can install. There are a few other applications similar to Plex out there but I find plex to be nice and easy to work with myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts