Mission 750 LE vs. Boston Acoustics VR-M50

• Mission 750 LE

• Boston Acoustics VR-M50

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I would like some suggestions/advice on picking between two bookshelf speakers. The Mission 750 Limited Edition vs. Boston Acoustics VR-M50. They are second hand and cost roughly the same.

I will be using it on a large wooden computer desk, sitting about 3 ft away. Connected to my computer and in it a Creative Sound Blaster ZX sound card/DAC, and powered by a Nakamichi AV-500 amplifier.

I listen to quite literally most types of music like classical, electronic, rock, hip-hop, country, international, and so much more :). I care very much about neutrality/true, soundstage, imaging, details, and an engaging yet relaxing sound. Even though I do a bit of gaming, mainly racing, I want it to be musical than anything. A good and accurate feeling of the highs, mids, and lows. Also, from what I've read, I realize I have to get a subwoofer for the sub lows because the bookshelf format simply can't deliver that. But I still would like some good + accurate bass.

Off-topic, sorry: Also, if anyone knows about any knowledge/advice/tips about the Nakamichi AV-500 which I believe also shares the same amplifier as their higher end AV-10, would be greatly appreciated. Such as bi-amping, tone or direct, cleaning, maintenance, etc.

I'm currently rocking the Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath amp + Polk M15 bookshelves while I await to clean the Nak and get banana plugs. I wonder how the transition is gonna be from that to the new stuff. Thank you all very much in advance for the help and advice! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve never heard the Missions, but you definitely can’t go wrong with the VR-Ms. Have you had a chance to listen to either speaker?
I can't hear both since they are located in different states of the country. So, I have to rely on reviews and people's experiences to decide, like on audioreviews.com. I believe they both retailed around $500-700 and I'm getting them for like around $100.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough. Would the M60s be in your budget too, or the deal on the 50s too good?
I haven't seen any for sale yet for the M60s. It seems they both share the same Lynnfield tweeter that people are praising very highly of. Are you recommending the M60 for better bass?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been DIY on subwoofers for 15 years, but I did buy a Parts Express Dayton 12” ported sub for my desktop computer audio system and enjoy it. I pair it with Ascend Acoustics 340s.
Oooh DIY sub sounds fun! I just read some part of your LLT explained and you sound like a genius haha. Do you have a guide or know any good guides? Btw I just looked those speakers up and from what people are saying, they are incredible. I just discovered the Monolith K Bas from Z-Reviews on YT and I'm so tempted to splurge on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts