AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I need some advice on my planned sonosub build (specifically around drivers and any mistakes i've made on tube measurements). Just to give the quick overview, room dimensions are a 19'x14' dedicated space with sound proofing measures. I've already done one DIY project and built my front three speakers using three 4-Pi kits (haven't picked out surrounds yet) and am now looking at subwoofers. I was originally going to pick up a SVS PC12-NSD but am now looking to see if i can go the DIY route instead and get better performance per $.

I'm looking to build 2x subs (at the same time, using identical parts). The budget is around $700-800 for both drivers and the sub amp to power them (something like a behringer EP4000 i guess?) The other materials (wood and tube) I have in a different budget bucket. My only physical limitations are that it has to fit on my stage next to my front speakers, behind my screen, which means i'm stuck looking at 12 inch drivers (i could fit a 15-16 inch tube/endcap in there, max). Height-wise, i can go above 6 foot but install gets tricky beyond that.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 2x driver / 1x external amp configuration? I grabbed a copy of sonosub.exe and played with measurements that will fit and came up with the below:

I'm not sure if any of the stuff in warnings is a problem (first port resonance and driver to box top resonance) or if my current dimensions will cause other issues. I'm assuming a 16hz tuning would be good for a movie theater? This would be 100% HT/Gaming focused.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part of me would definitely love to build some 18's but i'm not sure how well an enclosure would work when it can only be 16 inches deep. What's the minimum depth in a ported cabinet with an 18'' woofer?. The original appeal of the sonosubs (beyond them being unique compared to store-bought subs) was that I could make them very tall and get a lot of volume out of them (being behind the screen, the look of them matters less). Plus i'm kind of looking forward to building them (having done 3 ported speaker boxes, this is definitely going to be different/fun). Is the downside of the sonosub plan just that the woofers will be too small to move enough air in that room?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
The depth of the Dayton 18 ho is only 9" so there should plenty of room even with the port going up the back wall or offset the driver and put a big port in the corner. The driver only needs a couple inches of breathing room behind the pole vent so you can put it real close to the back wall. A couple ported 12s is not as good as a 18" monster ported sub. There's also the stereo integrity 18 and the Dayton um18 if you're willing to wait.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've been pondering this one a bit and I think I may attempt to use a bigger driver on these dual subs. I still want to build a sonosub for the experience of it and an 18'' is just too big for the limits of the location, but i think i might be able to squeeze a 15'' driver in there. The tube would have to be as small as possible though. I don't think sonotube forms come in 17'' sizes, so if i used a 16'' tube with a 17 or 18'' endcap, would that still work? Assuming the back end (basket?) of the driver fit into the tube with some room?

Looking at a random 15'' driver (TC LMS-R) as an example, the cutout is 14'', which would give a half inch on all sides between the driver and walls of the tube. the endcap would have to be at least 16'' for the driver mount holes, plus whatever the legs need. I could also make the endcaps thicker if that helps as height is easier then width here. I haven't run these numbers through sonosub.exe yet to see what would change in the tuning frequency and volume and all that. I just wanted to make sure 15'' driver in 16'' sonotube would work.

If it does, does anyone have recommendations on 15'' drivers and a rack amp for them? Same basic requirements on budget, though it is worth mentioning i'm willing to wait for parts if they are popular.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts