TV: 46" Sony kdl-46z4100

DVD: PS3

Cable: Directv HD DVR

Remote: Harmony One

Current Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1500

Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Weberns (3) Front- L/C/R

Vienna Acoustics Berg (2) Rear- L/R

Velodyne SPL 800r

Now before I get flamed, I have been reading everything on this site and elsewhere for the past few weeks trying to come up with a receiver option that will bring my system to life. I was originally looking at an all-in-one so to speak avr, something like the Arcam AVR350 has been suggested. However, with all the HDMI 1.3 crap going around, yes I am very confused as I assume a lot of people are in that dept, I have been thinking about doing separates starting with an Emotiva UPA-7. Budget is somewhere around teh $1500 mark. Any suggestions would be great and very much appreciated. Thanks.

From a somewhat lost AV Soul trying not to make a dumb purchase (I have this thing with only liking to buy stuff once)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you only want to buy once, consider something with onboard TrueHD/DTS-HD MA decoding. That way, if you ever need it, you have it.

Yamaha RX-V3800 may meet your needs.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
All in one. It puts out plenty of power. Of course some people will always feel/want more.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I have a Denon 3808ci. Have had no problems and Denon has been real good doing firmware updates. I have it hooked all the time to a ethernet cable. That way it is always hooked up to my network and internet radio. Plenty of power and all the True HD for blu-ray...upscales excellent also. Otherwords no complaints with this receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I think I have narrowed it down a bit.

Option 1: Arcam avr350

Option 2: Arcam avp700/P1000

Option 3: Emotiva UPA-7(or XPA-5)/MMC-1(or Yamaha 663)

Obviously I like the Emotiva idea because it is half the price of the others, but I have no way of hearing them. I listened to the arcam stuff yesterday and it sounds great (although it was in a showroom). Any thoughts or other suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Pioneer Elite SC-07 and really like it; the step down SC-05 would probably meet your needs. It has a very powerful amp section as well and I think it would run your setup without needing a separate amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts