AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have popped into this forum every few months to see if anything is yet on the market to record HDTV as simply as we now record "regular" TV.

If I am correct, while there are some kludgy methods out there, there is nothing simple and reliable.

What I do know is that there is a PVR that I saw, (non-working) at CES for DISH/BEV called the 921 that may be out by early next year. (I know, they said in Jan. "6 months", but no one believed that.)

I think I read in this forum that D* may have an HDTV capable PVR out by the end of this year.

My main question is: Is anyone coming out with a generic HD capable recorder (i assume it would be hard disk rather than tape based) that will accept HDTV signals from any source - DISH, D* or OTA? I don't really need the bells and whistles that Vivo users want - all we do is record for time shifting purposes and it would be a wa$te of money to have to buy two machines, one dedicated to BEV(DISH) and one to D*.

...mike

P.S. I tried looking for a FAQ on this, but didn''t see one.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a link to the TWICE guide to HD recording. Go take a gander over there.

-phil

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Since the merger is off/dead, it is extremely unlikely that anyone will make a single receiver that will be able to receive both E* and D* at the same time. (Why would they want to advertise their competitor?)

Since BEV is officially sold in Canada only there is no reason to expect a BEV+Anything else receiver.

You could get a 169time DTC100 and a 169time Dish 6000 and feed both of them to a DVHS VCR...

(Look at the end of the 169time topic in this forum)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To: Phil B. -

Whoops. I read that thread, but missed the link to the list of possibilities.

If I read correctly, nothing was mentioned for D*.

To: PVR -

BEV has licensed and uses DISH's hardware. DISH and BEV equipment is identical.

The 16:9 method is what i was thinking of when i used the term "kludgy".

I don't want a receiver that receives both systems. I wwant a simple method of recording HDTV output from various sources - it shouldn't matter what sat. receiver the signals come from or what set top box.

I want something as simple to use as a present VCR. My VCRs can easily be programmed to control and record the sat. recvrs. for "std." channels. I just want the VCR to be able to record and play HDTV. Would prefer the medium to be a hard disk rather than tape.

...mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.