58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current Equipment:

Denon AVR-3808CI

Mains: MartinLogan reQuest

Center: MartinLogan Theater

Sub: Velodyne HGS-18

**Surrounds: MartinLogan Scripts**

I once used my ML Scripts as surrounds but I do not have room for them in my smaller theater room (the are quite large) now as the seating is right up against the back wall. Mounting the Scripts on the wall would also require AC power which I do not have at the back of my room.

I am aware of tonal matching among all speakers in a 5.1 surround setup but I have been watching movies for 2 years now without rears installed (embarrasing I know) and I just want to grab a decent pair or wall mounted surround speakers that will fit the bill for my movie watching and video gaming needs. My budget is around $400 for the pair.

How would something like the "Polk Audio FXi A4" set work for my setup? I assume I would set the speaker to bipole mode since the speakers would be right behind my listening position facing forward.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
what about the frescos?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered the Frescos but they are outside the $$ I want to spend right now. I do not listen to multi-channel music and only need surrounds for movies and video game consoles.

Does anyone have some suggestions for my setup around the $400-500 range a pair?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hey Gussboy. Here is an ad on the gon for Vignettes in your price range.

One issue with fresco, let alone vignette, is that they can't reeaaallly crank it for serious HT. If you listen to only moderate volumes, or in moderate room, etc, Im sure you are fine.

Otherwise, there's really too many speakers out there at your price range. They are all probably talked about daily here. Off top of head PSB, Usher, Monitor Audio, Ascend (and the host of other ID brands), JBl, B&W, Paradigm...

I used to have my stats with PSB before dedicated stereo. Ive seen them with Paradigm and BW as well. Im sure many other combinations are out there for HT surrounds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone throw out some specific brand and models for good surrounds for my system in the $400-500/pair range? I realize that there are a ton of options in this range but I am really looking for best bang for my buck with mostly movie content.

Thus far I have considered:

Klipsch RS-42
Polk Audio FXi A4
Paradigm ADP-190 (Monitor series)

I would like to buy new sowhere is a good place to buy speakers online? So far I have only looked at places like Crutchfield and big box stores like Best Buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts