Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peoples,

I'm an owner/admirer of a XG75A and I just got a marquee 8000 and i need a few info's...

1. Is there PC control software that works with the 8000?

2. Which mods (other than the anamorphic mod which i know i have to do) can i do to the 8000 to make her purr?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
The XG and Marquee are very comparable. Depends a lot on tube condition and how well you've got each set up. XG is usually credited with better colors. Marquee is stereotyped as easier to setup.

1.) Not that I've seen.

2.) - Check the filament voltage first.

- The Marquee likes a little extra boost on the input, so several people use an Extron 109+ to bump from .7v p-p to 1.0v.

- The Marquee lenses aren't color corrected, some people use colored glycol (printer ink, dye, or Sony glycol from ECP), or photo/light gels, or use NEC lenses with a adaptive mounting bracket.

- MP has very nice VIM and neck board mods.

- Tim has power supply mods.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Some facts about both:

The XG is a sharper projector than the Marquee 8000 (stock). Electronic astigmatism on the XG makes it "easier" to obtain a sharper image than the Marquee 8000.

The XG has better colors than a Marquee 8000 because of color filtered lenses (stock).

Now notice I said the word "stock" more than once about the Marquee? :D That is the thing with the Marquee 8000, it can be modified to be a truly astounding projector.

Still both are excellent projectors, I know because I own both NEC's and a Marquee 8000.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is both the Marquee Librarian which allows you to save setup to disk and the Marquee Control Program to control the projector. I use both with my 8500.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
The XG and Marquee are very comparable. Depends a lot on tube condition and how well you've got each set up. XG is usually credited with better colors. Marquee is stereotyped as easier to setup.
Without interface software i can't imagine how a Marquee is easier to set up...

The tubes on the Marquee are in better condition so I'm hoping i can get it close to the XG.

Quote:
2.) - Check the filament voltage first.

- The Marquee likes a little extra boost on the input, so several people use an Extron 109+ to bump from .7v p-p to 1.0v.
I have a Nec ISS-6020 switcher which allows for a signal boost but in decibles ...2/4/6db but i'll test boosting it thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
There is both the Marquee Librarian which allows you to save setup to disk and the Marquee Control Program to control the projector. I use both with my 8500.
Has anyone tested the Marquee Control Program with an 8000 ?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyle5864
I've got the Librarian but I've never tried the Control Program. Does it give you better control than the remote?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
I've got the Librarian but I've never tried the Control Program. Does it give you better control than the remote?
I find the PC control for the XG a big step up from having to navigate with a remote through the details ot's much quicker and it's graphic which helps me

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll find the file and give it a go after i craft another cable, it looks ok but not near as nice as the XG software ,, i'd attach a pic to show you but i don't know how!?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0homerj0
Without interface software i can't imagine how a Marquee is easier to set up...

The tubes on the Marquee are in better condition so I'm hoping i can get it close to the XG.

I have a Nec ISS-6020 switcher which allows for a signal boost but in decibles ...2/4/6db but i'll test boosting it thanks.
IMO, you won't be able to come close to the XG image quality with that Marquee 8000 in stock form.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0homerj0
i'd attach a pic to show you but i don't know how!?
Press Alt+PrntScreen to capture a screenshot of the active application window to the Windows clipboard.

Start.. Programs.. Accessories.. Paint.

Ctrl+V to paste the screenshot from the clipboard.

File.. Save As.. *.GIF

Click http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...hite/reply.gif at the bottom of the AVS page to upload an image attachment (instead of just typing a Quick Reply).

And/or you can go to http://imageshack.us and upload the GIF.

Paste the imageshack link into your thread with
Code:
Code:
[IMG]http://....*.gif[/IMG]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
IMO, you won't be able to come close to the XG image quality with that Marquee 8000 in stock form.
I figured as much thus question #2 ... what have you done to your 8000?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a few shots of the PC Control in comparison, people love when i click on the lenses to shut them on and off for whatever reason...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I haven't touched my Marquee 8000 in over 3 years and the tubes are even immaculate in it. It is basically a backup projector and therefore it is completely stock. It also has ACON (auto convergence) and is a very late model 8000 with the aluminum hinged rear heat sink.

It's just sitting in the basement collecting dust, until it is needed or wanted. ;)

Here is a picture I just took of it, buried behind a bunch of stuff.
http://imageshack.us http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8...us8004r0co.jpg

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec2
I would read all of this first

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Walt
Looks like you have a lot of reading to do followed by a lot of work to be done on your 8000. In the meantime, I will be enjoying my XG in stock form, and you can do the same if you wish. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradad
Looks like you have a lot of reading to do followed by a lot of work to be done on your 8000. In the meantime, I will be enjoying my XG in stock form, and you can do the same if you wish. ;)
I have already been reading , thats a great link and MP seems to be the man.. and yes I'm enjoying the HD baseball on the XG while i do it :cool:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Looks like you already have fun with those 2 PJ's you got off me Steve :) Can't wait to see if you get a hybrid setup running

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes and thx agian Ken you are getting rich off me! From looking at the posts here there doesn't seem to be any software to do the job, but i'm still looking~ .... Are you still a 2 PJ guy? I just completed the removal of desk and computer stuff from the living room/theater and recabling everything , new bigger screen etc... I'm gonna crack the 8000 tomorrow and reverse the synch...I can't believe invidia doesn't allow for a horizontal reverse!?! I still have half a ceiling to remove and a new floor to put down but I'm getting there!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.