AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So almost as a joke I put a set of speakers I'd been eyeing on my Christmas list, and lo and behold the sister actually bought the things. As wonderful as this may sound, I don't have a receiver, and I'm on an extremely limited budget.

My setup is simply a PS3 and a Panasonic TH-42PX80U, along with the 5.1 set of speakers.

When I say I'm on a limited budget I'm talking no more than $250, and that's REALLY pushing it, sub-200 is preferred. In about a years time, when I have my degree and a job, I'll upgrade things as I see fit and I won't skimp, but until then I'm looking for the most basic thing I can get.

I really just need a way to connect those speakers to this setup, I don't care about sound quality, and the PS3 does all the decoding I'll need.

I've been watching the Sony STR-DG720 for about a week now but it seems I've missed the amazing deals I read about.

I just want to stress again here, sound quality is at the absolute bottom of my list, for now I just want to be able to hook speakers up and enjoy what I can until I can afford a better system.

Here's hoping someone can help

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i would probably just get a used non hdmi receiver from the past. For example, about 3-4 years ago I sold a yamaha that sold for $1800 for $450 used. That receiver had a better amp in it then most receivers under $2k do today still, it just didn't have the features I wanted and I was sick of the remote breaking

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A used RX-V657 or RX-V659 from ebay used or new might work for you.

There may be better deals than that, but I really like the 657 and the 659 seemed to be just as nice.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
By all means look at the fully warranted (2 yrs) refurb receivers direct from Harman Kardon at harmanaudio.com (specials) or the H/K eBay store! Best bang for the buck by far and on an excellent product. The AVR-146Z is only $198 and even has HDMI switching. And don't worry about those "low" power specs - H/K rates their receivers honestly and they will usually outperform receivers claiming much higher power ratings. However, if you can afford the it look for a model with full preouts so you can keep the receiver and just add a separate power amp when you area ready to "upgrade." All the H/K models above the AVR-1XX models will have full preouts. And you might get an even better price on this or another model at the H/K eBay store.

·
Registered
117 Posts
there 2 AVR units that you should look into it and they are new, look into the Pioneer VSX 818v-k you can run HDMI to the tv and 1080p but only Video no audio for the price of 249.00 and the pioneer VSX-918V-K it can not decoded the new hi def audio tracks but it could take Linear PCM, its no problem as you have a PS3 that can do all the decoding, and the price is 349.00. good luck

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
do you specifically require HDMI audio support? that narrows the field a bit.

as others have noted, since you aren't that concerned with maximum audio quality don't even worry about an HDMI receiver. just get any used digital receiver from the pat 5-6 years for $100 off craigslist or something.

if you don't want to buy used, check out refurbs from ecost.com and accessories4less.com.

like this: http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp...avid=155441519

or this: http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp...avid=155441519 (adds HDMI video switching, no audio)

or this: http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp...avid=155441519 (adds HDMI audio support for the PS3)

or this: http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp...avid=155441519 (HDMI video switching only, no audio)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Pioneer 918 or Yamaha 463 are my picks in the $250 range.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/15462759

By all means look at the fully warranted (2 yrs) refurb receivers direct from Harman Kardon at harmanaudio.com (specials) or the H/K eBay store! Best bang for the buck by far and on an excellent product. The AVR-146Z is only $198 and even has HDMI switching. And don't worry about those "low" power specs - H/K rates their receivers honestly and they will usually outperform receivers claiming much higher power ratings. However, if you can afford the it look for a model with full preouts so you can keep the receiver and just add a separate power amp when you area ready to "upgrade." All the H/K models above the AVR-1XX models will have full preouts. And you might get an even better price on this or another model at the H/K eBay store.

HK ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio They have the HK 147 that goes for under $200 most days. The AVR 247 sells for around $220.

I looked for the cheapest one I could find to serve as a temp pre/pro and settled on the 247 to replace my HK AVR 520. Nothing wrong with the 520 except the newer models have much easier to configure settings and more ways to configure different listening modes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot everyone! This gives me plenty of other options to look into. I would like to have an hdmi receiver for convenience sake but it's certainly not necessary as component would work just fine. And as I mentioned I plan on upgrading in the next year or so.

I'll do some research on the ones listed here and let you all know what I decide.

Thanks again

Edit:

I looked at the Harman-Audio ebay store and they don't have any AVR HK 147's, only 146's. 5.1 is no problem as I'm not going to be adding any surrounds for a long time, is there anything else I should know about the 146? The price is definitely right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts