AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and good day to all - I know it's a long read, but lots of info.

I need some help picking a receiver that'll suit my purposes and not cost me a lot. I still live with my parents, and money is not something that is abundant. I'm trying to put together a low-end and what most would call a budget home-theater solution. I know most of you will probably find the following setup unappealing, but keep in mind I'm moving away from a 19" Mono Sanyo tv, so I think anything will sound and look much better.

My room dimension are as follows: 12 x 11.4 x 8 - very squarish, which isn't very good for sound, but hey that's what I have, and again I'll have to make something work.

For speakers, i've decided to go w/ the Athena Point 5 MKIIs for about $200. These seem to be a good price for these speakers, and have a fairly bright sound to them. They have a frequency response of 80-20kHz +/- 3dB

For a sub, I think i've decided on the Dayton 10" 100w SUB (Part Number 300-632)which is on sale for about $100. I'm not entirely set in stone on this, I was also considering the Velodyne VX10, as well as the Yamaha YST-SW215.

Now for the part of choosing a receiver - I found an ONKYO Refurbished Model TX-SR502 for $130, but that deal ends in 34 hrs. Also it seems this receiver is also bright. Will having bright speakers + bright receiver cause everything to be too bright? I was also looking at other receivers by Pioneer, HK, and Panasonic. I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible, maybe $300 at the most. Maybe getting the 502 and putting the money saved towards better speakers would be a better option? I don't really know. That's why i'm asking

My main use for this room will be game playing (xbox,ps2,gamecube,pc,future consoles) as well as dvd watching. Occasional music, but not frequently.

Thoughts, Suggestions, Help?

I'd just like to thank everyone upfront for the insight and help.

-vpr

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
There are very few decent receivers under $200. Even under $300 you are starting to push it unless you stick with lower end stuff that is used or refurbed...If I were you I would have alook at the Panasonci XR recivers, they have a model down near your price range...YOu might be best suited to put off the purchase for a few months do you can add another $100-$150 into the budget...or the not as bright speaker route...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.