AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little guidance some entry level equipment.

1) My budget is roughly $1,000. I'd like to try and keep it close to $750 but that seems like it might be hard to do.
2) Movies and gaming will be the primary usage.
3) I don't have any existing equipment, I am planning to start with a 5.1 system and move up to 7.1.2
4) The room is 12' x 25' with 11' tray ceiling and a 14" riser in the back that is 12' x 8'
5) Primary listening position will be the front row at roughly 15'-16' from front wall
6) Since I will have 2 rows I want to be sure I'm mounting the side surrounds in the right location. I saw a suggestion to use bi-pole speakers between 100 and 110 degrees from front row and a foot above ear height of the back. Does this sound right?
7) Given the placement, budget, and type of side surrounds I was considering the Klipsch R-14S. I'm open to suggestions here as well.
8) No particular audio preferences outside of typical movie watching needs.

Tips on where I should place the wiring for the atmos speakers would be great too. I've looked at suggested placement but just wondered what others thought before I commit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looking for a little guidance some entry level equipment.

1) My budget is roughly $1,000. I'd like to try and keep it close to $750 but that seems like it might be hard to do.
3) I don't have any existing equipment, I am planning to start with a 5.1 system and move up to 7.1.2
4) The room is 12' x 25' with 11' tray ceiling and a 14" riser in the back that is 12' x 8'
5) Primary listening position will be the front row at roughly 15'-16' from front wall
So $750 - $1k for:
Receiver
Subwoofer
5- speakers

To be used in a large room?

Reactions: the_Brayn

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
You have roughly the same size room as I have. I don't think you'll be happy with the Polk TL1 system. I like the TL Series and thought about the TL3s at one time. With a 2.5" mid driver and only a 50W sub you'll have trouble filling the space. The satellites only go down to 135Hz (-3db) so the sub would need to make up the difference its sound becoming more directional as it does.

I would go with a vintage Klipsch system possibly a B2/C2/S2 with sub. It's a nice-looking, well-constructed, efficient system which sounds and images very well. I've purchased B2s for as little as $75/pr and a C2 for less than $100. Find yourself a good sub. Minimum 10", but 12" would be better. The Klipsch subs are good, but most here find the SVS, Hu, REL and the kit subs better candidates. Depending whether you intend to eventually go ATMOS, you may want to go direct-radiators instead of bi-pole or di-pole surrounds. Matching surround and ATMOS speakers would provide a more cohesive experience.

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
6) Since I will have 2 rows I want to be sure I'm mounting the side surrounds in the right location. I saw a suggestion to use bi-pole speakers between 100 and 110 degrees from front row and a foot above ear height of the back. Does this sound right?
7) Given the placement, budget, and type of side surrounds I was considering the Klipsch R-14S. I'm open to suggestions here as well.
8) No particular audio preferences outside of typical movie watching needs.
You're in luck: Infinity has just put its well regarded Reference series back on sale---includes free shipping and free return shipping...I'd grab that with both hands pronto. Those are absolutely MASSIVE discounts!

Front L/R + center, $320
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html
https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+RC263.html

Side surrounds, $134/pr:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/RS152BK.html

For the sub, add a Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12-F for $600 and you're all set.

I will PM you for the receiver, another $300. (AVS doesn't allow links to receivers.)

I realize the above is a little over your budget, but do it right the first time so you don't have to spend more money later upgrading. Especially don't cheap out on the sub, a common newbie mistake. The Infinitys will easily outperform the Klipsch R series.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest you search for the best HTIB package like the one above.

Best Buy
A4L
Amazon
eBay
I was mostly hoping to avoid a htib this time, I had one in my old home theater that served well but wanted to go a little bigger this time. I have an additional $500 for the receiver and I'm trying to get one with 9.2 (plans are for a 7.1.2 system) but I have a thread started in the receiver section for that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're in luck: Infinity has just put its well regarded Reference series back on sale---includes free shipping and free return shipping...I'd grab that with both hands pronto. Those are absolutely MASSIVE discounts!

Front L/R + center, $320
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html
https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+RC263.html

Side surrounds, $134/pr:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/RS152BK.html

For the sub, add a Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12-F for $600 and you're all set.

I will PM you for the receiver, another $300. (AVS doesn't allow links to receivers.)

I realize the above is a little over your budget, but do it right the first time so you don't have to spend more money later upgrading. Especially don't cheap out on the sub, a common newbie mistake. The Infinitys will easily outperform the Klipsch R series.
Thanks for the suggestions. This has definitely got my interest and will probably pull the trigger later today on the Infinities. I'll keep an eye on the 2 subs you mentioned and hope to find one on sale soon, I might look for a used one to keep costs in check. I've got some time still since the room has another few weeks before it is ready.

I saw your PM but don't have enough posts yet to respond apparently, the only issue is the receiver you sent seems to max at 7.1 with 5.1.2 for atmos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have roughly the same size room as I have. I don't think you'll be happy with the Polk TL1 system. I like the TL Series and thought about the TL3s at one time. With a 2.5" mid driver and only a 50W sub you'll have trouble filling the space. The satellites only go down to 135Hz (-3db) so the sub would need to make up the difference its sound becoming more directional as it does.

I would go with a vintage Klipsch system possibly a B2/C2/S2 with sub. It's a nice-looking, well-constructed, efficient system which sounds and images very well. I've purchased B2s for as little as $75/pr and a C2 for less than $100. Find yourself a good sub. Minimum 10", but 12" would be better. The Klipsch subs are good, but most here find the SVS, Hu, REL and the kit subs better candidates. Depending whether you intend to eventually go ATMOS, you may want to go direct-radiators instead of bi-pole or di-pole surrounds. Matching surround and ATMOS speakers would provide a more cohesive experience.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try doing some comparisons with these and the Infinities suggested. I'm not opposed to buying used but at the same time I don't want to spend too much time tracking things down.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try doing some comparisons with these and the Infinities suggested. I'm not opposed to buying used but at the same time I don't want to spend too much time tracking things down.
I couldn't tell from the picture of the Reference series, but Infinity used to use foam surrounds instead of rubber. I had pairs of their RS1000 and RS2000 speakers and the surrounds disintegrated completely. This was before surround replacement kits so they needed replacement drivers.

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
I saw your PM but don't have enough posts yet to respond apparently, the only issue is the receiver you sent seems to max at 7.1 with 5.1.2 for atmos.
90% of content is still natively recorded for 5 channels, so going to 7 channels really adds very little---your receiver would simply upmix the 5 channel signal into 7 which IMO is not doing it any special favors. Moving up to a receiver that has 9 available channels means an additional $200-500 jump in price, which IMO is a complete waste of money if it cuts into your budget for the far, far more important components---the center and subwoofer(s).

Overspending on the receiver is the other really common newbie mistake. It makes very little difference, contrary to what the commission-chasing salesmen at Best Buy will tell you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'd buy a stereo with a sub(s) for this kind of money, or even without sub.
Your money will get less wasted this way imo.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Check out BIC America speakers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts