AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after going back and forth on new speakers and new receivers or both I have decided to keep my power hungry ARs but need a receiver with some balls to drive them. So given a budget of $650 out the door (shipping or 6% PA sales tax included) what are the best options? Right now I am looking at the Denon AVR-3803. It is heavier than the Yamahas (which are also not really in this price range) so "should" have better amps but I have read one review that said the Yamaha RX-V2400 was more powerful. This will be for 95% HT use and I would love to have the assignable zone 2 for up stairs background music (i.e. not critical listening). So please give me your thoughts. Can I do better than the 3803 for $650 shipped WITH a mfr warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The silence is deafening. :( Does that mean you think that the 3803 is a good choice or that this question has been asked a few too many times. :D I realize that the I need a receiver under $XXX has been asked but in this price range the Yamaha RX-V 1400 and 2400 get mentioned even thought they AREN'T in this price range. My real problem is that I CAN'T go an listen for myself and I probably will be mail ordering this receiver. The ONLY B&M left in my town doesn't stock the Denon 3803 or the Yamaha 1400/2400 so I can't go and listen and their price isn't competitive with on-line dealers which is what it will amount to as they will have to order it. They do stock the Sony line but their ES prices are out of my range and I am NOT getting the standard Sony line. After this store there is CC and BB and neither has a listening room so again I CAN'T listen. BB doesn't have much and CC has HK and Onkyo. There is a B&M store that is a 40 min drive from here but they want list-10% as their best price and I will have to pay 6% sales tax. Honestly with a wife and 2 year old at home I don't have 80 min of driving and several hours of listening available to me so driving there really isn't an option.

So I ask again given the above and a LIMIT of $650 out the door (3803 from 6th ave) is there a better choice out there for the money and for >95% HT use driving some power hungry mains. Another option MAY be a open box Onkyo 800 at CC or on-line for $549.

Please your thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jovie
3803 is now $699 from 6th ave
Hmm I swear I was just quoted a lower price but maybe I am wrong. $700 is pushing the budget but lets go there and I guess that brings the Yamaha RX-V1400 into play from an authorized dealer but I will have to double check.

So as of right now the list is:

Denon AVR-3803

Yamaha RX-V1400

Onkyo TX-SR800

So any additions under $700 out the door? Any comments on these choices?

Thanks

Edit: Well I am going to leave it on the list but the only local Yamaha Dealer that can get (they have it in stock) the V1400 just quoted me $799 so after adding 6% sales tax to that and it is pretty much off the list.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Grasschopper,

I have a 5-year Yamaha RX-793 (I think), but can assure:

you can't go wrong with Denon 3803!!!

I've listened this baby a bunch of times and I tell you only one thing.
WOW!!!!!!

Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.