AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worst fears have been realized...my little boy smeared some grease/foodish material on my UNpainted BOC screen. I have the rubber side out so I am hopeful it will be easier to clean than the cloth side.

Before I try to clean it, I figured I'd get the suggestions of the experts. What should I use to clean the screen? I was thinking to start with a damp cloth and see how that does before I consider using soap or cleaning agents.

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Yes, try a damp cloth first. Simple Green has also been used to clean screens. A solution of half cleaner to half water wiped on the stain--let set for a couple of minutes--then wipe clean and rinse with clean water several times. Problem is you might create a dull spot which will show up when you project on it. If you can get the grease reasonably off the screen, you could then roll on a couple coats of Kilz flat white over it and you should be back to a good image again without much fuss. Of course, if you really want to get into paint, there are all kinds to choose from and many require spraying on--just read through this forum board.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,895 Posts
The advice given above is pretty much correct, with the following corrections/suggestions.

Removing a "Greasy" stain is a lot more touchy than just simple dirt or splashed on liquid.

FLOOD (as in cover with a wet sponge) the affected Screen with 50% room temperature water and 50% good De-greasing Dish Soap, and after having been sure the affected area is saturated, BLOT the area, don't wipe. (...you'll smear the Grease...) Then rinse the area by blotting on/off with pure water.

This works with repairing Water-Based painted surfaces, so with a Rubberized surface you should be confident of acceptable results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts