AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I know this question has been asked probably a million times however here I go....

Would a screen gain of 1.3 increase brightness and deepen blacks?

I've got a room with white ceilings and not too dark matt painted walls. The room size is around 4m x 4m x 2.4m. The projector will be a Mitsubishi 7800D, screen size is 110". I think this projector could do with slightly increased brightness (I have to run the lamp in eco mode as the fan is just too noisy in normal mode) as well as deepen the blacks. All my seats are facing the screen front on so no awkward viewing angles.

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, the 1.3 gain will increase brightness, but at the expense of lighter blacks. Do you plan on watching a lot of 3D movies with the 7800D? The 1,500 lumens in 2D would work well with a 1.0 gain screen, but if you plan to watch a lot of 3D, I would go with the 1.3 gain as 3D viewing will decrease brightness.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, I assumed 1.3 = blacker blacks and brighter colours. Since blacks are most important to me maybe I'll just stick with 1.0. thanks.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7  /t/1415563/need-to-decide-1-0-or-1-3-gain-screen-i-only-have-2-options#post_22130798

ah, I assumed 1.3 = blacker blacks and brighter colours. Since blacks are most important to me maybe I'll just stick with 1.0. thanks.

If you want to run the projector in low lamp for very long, then you had better go with the 1.3 gain screen. While the projector spec is 1,500 lumens, the projector will not be anywhere close to that in best image mode, low lamp. Mid zoom, high lamp, you are only looking at 670 lumens calibrated. If we can help you with advice, shoot us an email.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts