AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I get the Sammy LN46A650 or the LN46A750?

And am I correct that the 750 has some type of web browser, and the 650 does not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Myself, I am partial to the Sony Bravias when compared to the Samsung units, in regards to picture quality. I would also look at Panasonics latest offerings too which have a better picture to my eyes than the Samsungs. I have always liked the picture quality of the Panasonics. A difficult choice, Panny or Sony. It always came down to dollars, which the Sony's always beat hands down.

The Sammys never did it for me, but I do own one, it is hanging in my truck. Best bang for the buck at the time in a 27" LCD with tuner.

Mike

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brader /forum/post/15581051

Should I get the Sammy LN46A650 or the LN46A750?

And am I correct that the 750 has some type of web browser, and the 650 does not?

Thanks!

I have the 52A750, but I was interested in both as well.

I would have to ask first what you want to do with the TV mostly, and what the price difference is. A lot of people see the A750 priced lower than the A650 sometimes. Here are the differences between the two:

750 has an integrated woofer

16-bit processor vs. 12-bit in 650 (10-bit panel in both)

750 has DLNA features (can stream audio/video/etc. over a home network)

750 can play video off of DLNA/USB flash drive. 650 limited to images/audio

750 comes with 1GB internal flash memory pre-loaded with HD pictures, games, recipes, and a few other things

750's controls on the bezel have a red backlight. 650's controls have no backlight

750 has a square bezel compared to the 650's rounded bezel

750 has a square stand compared to the 650's oval stand

750 stand does not swivel (contrary to Samsung's literature)

Picture quality wise, they are essentially the same from what others and myself have seen. I assume you are speaking of the DLNA when you speak of "computer browser". I don't use the DLNA on my 750 yet, but I believe it is more a function where you can hook up your laptop or other device to the TV and have it play HD video footage, music, etc., so it's not a "web browser", but more of a computer compatibility issue. I'm not real crisp on the DLNA features, so somebody else will probably be able to help you out more on that issue.

I chose the A750 because at the time it was only $50 more than the A650, and:

1: I liked the styling of the A750 way more than the A650.

2: The DLNA features were worthless to me, but I like the peace of mind knowing they are there for me to use if need be.

3: The A750 has 2 extra woofer-subwoofer speakers which provides better audio quality in my opinion.

4: The A750 can play movies from a USB drive, unlike the A650.

For all intensive purposes though, I just mainly like the look of the A750 more, and wanted the little better audio it gave since I don't have a home theatre system. People seem to be devastated by the halo "defect" on the A750 as the biggest quarrel with the set. If you go to the A750 owners thread and look at the first post there is pictures of it. Basically, some people's sets have light going around the edge of the TV bezel............mine does as well............but I don't care and I find it as a totally insignificant issue, and not bothersome at all.

Price kind of depends. If it is a big difference, I would probably get the A650, but if it's not, then I would do what I did and get the A750 if you like the styling and extra perks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I thought I would be able to get either for a steal today at Circuit City due to their "liquidation prices". Well, they were STILL more expensive then Amazon. So I went with the 750 as it was only about $40 more there compared to the 650. Can't wait to get it!

However, I did get a pretty sweet home theater stand for 30% off at Circuit City.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat /forum/post/15581193

I have the 52A750, but I was interested in both as well.

I would have to ask first what you want to do with the TV mostly, and what the price difference is. A lot of people see the A750 priced lower than the A650 sometimes. Here are the differences between the two:

750 has an integrated woofer

16-bit processor vs. 12-bit in 650 (10-bit panel in both)

750 has DLNA features (can stream audio/video/etc. over a home network)

750 can play video off of DLNA/USB flash drive. 650 limited to images/audio

750 comes with 1GB internal flash memory pre-loaded with HD pictures, games, recipes, and a few other things

750's controls on the bezel have a red backlight. 650's controls have no backlight

750 has a square bezel compared to the 650's rounded bezel

750 has a square stand compared to the 650's oval stand

750 stand does not swivel (contrary to Samsung's literature)

Picture quality wise, they are essentially the same from what others and myself have seen. I assume you are speaking of the DLNA when you speak of "computer browser". I don't use the DLNA on my 750 yet, but I believe it is more a function where you can hook up your laptop or other device to the TV and have it play HD video footage, music, etc., so it's not a "web browser", but more of a computer compatibility issue. I'm not real crisp on the DLNA features, so somebody else will probably be able to help you out more on that issue.

I chose the A750 because at the time it was only $50 more than the A650, and:

1: I liked the styling of the A750 way more than the A650.

2: The DLNA features were worthless to me, but I like the peace of mind knowing they are there for me to use if need be.

3: The A750 has 2 extra woofer-subwoofer speakers which provides better audio quality in my opinion.

4: The A750 can play movies from a USB drive, unlike the A650.

For all intensive purposes though, I just mainly like the look of the A750 more, and wanted the little better audio it gave since I don't have a home theatre system. People seem to be devastated by the halo "defect" on the A750 as the biggest quarrel with the set. If you go to the A750 owners thread and look at the first post there is pictures of it. Basically, some people's sets have light going around the edge of the TV bezel............mine does as well............but I don't care and I find it as a totally insignificant issue, and not bothersome at all.

Price kind of depends. If it is a big difference, I would probably get the A650, but if it's not, then I would do what I did and get the A750 if you like the styling and extra perks.

This is EXACTLY the information i was seeking. The Samsung web site was useless when it came to the comparison table, and each individuals page was extremely dense and hard to sift through to pick up the subtle differences. Thanks for sorting that out for me. It's the 750 then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts