AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing one of these projectors very soon. My home theater room will consist of:

* around a 110" 16:9 screen

* seating area will be around 14 feet away from screen

* material will be DVDs (most anamorphic) and HD material

* will need to hook up: dvd player, LD player, HTPC, and DTC-100 for HD

* room will be totally dark (very close in daytime)

My main concern is that I will be sitting too close to the screen for the 5700, is this correct? I do not want ANY screen door effect. I will be able to mount the projector anywhere above me (from 10feet to 20 feet if need be...what would you recommend for a 110" 16:9 screen).

I have heard the 5700 is better for DVD playback. Is this correct? Even though the 7200 has better resoultion?

I cannot wait for the 7205 or anything else. It is between these two.

Are there any other concerns I should be worried about? I will also most likely get a DaLite HC Cinema screen.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
With that screen and at that distance you should get the HD2. I haven't heard of problems in particular with DVD and the 7200.

Dan

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The only reason the 5700 (I own one) would be better than the 7200 for DVDs is because of the 7200s barrel distortion.

I got the 5700 because price was a concern for me, and HD wasn't that important (we have very little where I live). If HD is a big factor, I would say the 7200 would be worth the extra money.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have almost the exact same room setup you are describing with a 7200. I have over 1000hrs now. The barrel distortion is a non issue, I would getthe 7200. HD content will blow your mind.

Paul

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Price is a concern.

Does anyone here sit under 15 feet away with the 5700 and use a larger, over 100" screen? I would like your feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I sit about 11' from a 119" screen. This is about 1.1x. I can see screen door (pixels) at this distance but it doesn't bother me. I prefer the large picture. If I move to my second row of seating (about 14') the screendoor goes away completely. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Gruson, I currently have the 7200 in my room my first row is 14 ft back from a 123" diag screen my second row is 20' back I don't see any screen door at any seating position. a friend brought over his 5700 and we viewed it on my screen at 106" diag and I was bothered by screen door:( I would recommend for the 5700 going no larger than 96" diag and sitting 15' back.

The 5700 is a beutiful pj and in some ways better than my 7200 dvd playback is crisper but when it comes to hd the 7200 really shines.

in the end for me when selecting my pj it came down to 1280x720 resolution and enough brightness to go as big as I wanted. the bottom line is you get what you pay for;)

Disclaimer; of course these are my own personal thoughts, and unfortunately whenever folks try and help someone out with their experiences around here other members seem to want to challenge their findings and endlessly debate them:confused: so if you can view it yourself and then decide:D

If you would like come by and check it out for yourself

Bob

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to come by but I am in Dallas, TX so MA is a little bit of a trip for me! :)

Unless you have moved here! :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not sure if you are hooked on infocus, but why not consider the HD2 benQ 8700, or if you really want to go budget and get a big bang look at the optoma h56. I watched a movie on a h56 with no ambient light, 100 inch screen and i was seated 14 feet back did not see any screen door.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
George, I am hooked on Infocus because I can get a really good deal on them. :)

Also,

Is there anyone in the Dallas area that has a 5700 or 7200? I went by a couple of home theater stores but they did not have them on display.....

Also, I hear the 7200 is a lot louder than the 5700...true?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The 5700 has a different colour wheel design than the 7200 which cuts down considerably on the colour wheel whine. The fan noise is the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.