AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to downsize as I am moving from a house back into an apartment. I currently have:

Athena AS-F2 - Fronts

Athena AS-B2 - Surrounds

Athena AS-C1 - Center

Velodyne Sub - Not sure the model, but I'm keeping it.

I would like to get:

Energy RC-Mini's for the fronts and surrounds

Energy RC-Mini Center for the center

Usage:

60% Movies/Television

39.5% Games

.5% Music

The living room will be 14x13

I would like something small because I don't want to take up too much space and I would like to be respectful to my neighbors.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLI Freak /forum/post/16983691

I need to downsize as I am moving from a house back into an apartment. I currently have:

Athena AS-F2 - Fronts

Athena AS-B2 - Surrounds

Athena AS-C1 - Center

Velodyne Sub - Not sure the model, but I'm keeping it.

I would like to get:

Energy RC-Mini's for the fronts and surrounds

Energy RC-Mini Center for the center

The living room will be 14x13

I would like something small because I don't want to take up too much space and I would like to be respectful to my neighbors.

The RC-mini series are very nice speakers within their limitations. If you can swing the extra $$, I'd recommend 3 RC-Mini center to use as L/C/R - with the left/right mini CC oriented vertically. You could still go with the RC-mini bookshelves for surrounds.

This gives you a perfect timbre match up front - 3 of the exact same speaker. Plus you get the added performance of the dual-woofer RC-mini CC - slightly better low end extension and a little better sensitivity. The mini CC can be crossoved over around 100-110Hz, whereas the mini needs to be crossed somewhere between 120-150Hz. The higher the crossover point, the easier it is to localize these upper bass frequencies coming from the sub, and tougher it is to integrate the sub into the system. Placing the sub between the mains can help with this...

I think that would make a very nice setup.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
GLI is this a permanent move or a temporary one? I would keep the fronts and sub. You have thin towers and if you go to bookshelf, they still need to sit on a stand. You really don't save any space.

After years of living in an apartment with much larger speakers than yours, it can be done. I would try to keep the whole setup as the rears shouldn't be too hard to place. You could always go with cheap really small rears to fill in the back sound.

IMO you won't like the sound from the smaller speakers. They are really nice for someone just getting into the hobby or for a bedroom setup but you would be taking a large step back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'll be 2-3 years before we get into another house....so I'm not sure if that would be considered permanent or temporary. I really like the looks of the Energy line..but I know I will sacrifice a lot if I went down to the RC-mini's.

I have really thought about keeping the bigguns. What are everyone's thoughts of the Athena's? I know mine are a little dated but I still love them...

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
I've got a pair of F1's. Still love 'em. I actually have F1's, C1, B2, B1 and a pair of point 5's.

Gonna sell some of the bookshelf speakers, but it would be hard to part with the F1 towers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.