AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $600 to get five speakers currently after having bought the sub already (a 10" Dayton for $99). I figure $50 each for the rears and $200 for the center, so that leaves me with $300 for the L/R.

I wanted to get the Polk R-50s but I went to the local Frys and they were not on-sale and cost $199 each :(. I'd like to have my home theater setup by early next week so I'd prefer not to wait until they go on-sale again. So does anyone know a cheap place to get them, or can someone recommend some other speakers for this price range. The other speakers aren't really set (I was just going to get Polk rears & center to match the L/R, but if I'm not getting Polk L/R...), so recommendations on those would be great too.

The room is really tiny. Like really really really tiny bedroom converted into a home theater. But I'd like to get a moderate quality sound system so when I move to a bigger room I can just use what I buy now.

Thanks,

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ascend CBM-170s for under $350 shipped, or if you live in the SoCal area mebbe you can work out a deal and pick'em up, call DaveF or James. give them an audition, you just might like'em....

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, ok the Ascends are a definite possibility.

What would be a good center and rear l/r to go with them?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 questions there:

1. Is the NHT SuperZero XUs for $99 deal only for one?

170s x 3 = $488

+

NHT SuperZero XUs = $200

= $688 before shipping or tax which is a bit above my $600 budget (though I guess I could spend $700 and not die)

2. What are the advantages of getting a 170 for the center vs. 340 center (other than $100 savings)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
If you can wait a couple of weeks the R50s will be back on sale. They just were up in CA last weekend. You can get the R15s for ~$50/pair as well (if you wait). This has been going on quite a while. You just have watch the papers every Friday.

If you want something else go for it, you may like them better, but for the price...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:(

I'd really like to wait it out and get them, but I really need to have my speaker setup by next week and don't want to wait around a month or two. I'd rather spend a little more and have my speakers when I need them, then wait for a few months and get a cheaper set :\\

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Do you live near the Mid-atlantic region? I'll be selling a primo set of Acoustech speakers (all 3 across the front for only $350.) Currently, the same 3 speaker run about $458 with shipping. The condition of my speakers are a 10/10 and are only 6 mos. old with light use.

let me know what you think: [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
r50s on sale at cc, pair for 220...

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can get a Rocket ELT setup with you $600 dollar budget. You could get 2 pair of ELT LRS and an ELT center. These are on sale right now, and are a great deal. I personally have ELTs and love them. I'm sure the Ascends would be a great choice too. Let us know what you decide and how you like them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A pair of JBL E50s can be had for around $250 (includes shipping). You could get another pair for sides, then the matching center EC35 for around $180. Total price ends up at around $650 for an incredible sounding system (IMHO).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erandmckay
A pair of JBL E50s can be had for around $250 (includes shipping). You could get another pair for sides, then the matching center EC35 for around $180. Total price ends up at around $650 for an incredible sounding system (IMHO).
If you want to spend a little less you can get JBL E30s for the surrounds and still have a great sounding system. Here are some prices from a very reputable internet dealer that includes free shipping:

pair JBL E50 front: $250

pair JBL E30 surround: $140

one JBL EC35 center: $180

Total: $570 shipped with no tax. Not too shabby. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info so far. Lots of good choices.

So I guess it's between the Ascends, Rocket ELT LRS, and JBL. Which one sounds the best? If the Ascends sound much better than the others, I'll just pay the few hundred more to have a nice sounding system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should also consider the Ventriloquists from Hsu Research. Small set, but they sound decent.

If you're near Anaheim, you can go test them out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebpo
Thanks for all the info so far. Lots of good choices.

So I guess it's between the Ascends, Rocket ELT LRS, and JBL. Which one sounds the best? If the Ascends sound much better than the others, I'll just pay the few hundred more to have a nice sounding system.
No one can really tell you what sounds best, as it is personal preference. I have not heard Ascends but I do love my ELT setup. I'm sure there are some people who have heard both that will chime in. If possible order a pair of each (or a whole setup) and give them a listen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright I ended up going with the rockets. Did 4 ELT LRS at $299 and a ELT CSE at $299 for $650 after shipping.

Looking forward to recieving them and hopefully hearing great sound :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got them in the South American Rosewood & Chocolate Rosewood.

Though checking their page now I just read the intro that they're closed wed/thur/fri this week meaning my order won't be processed until monday and I won't get them until late next week :\\

I always seem to have the worst luck ^^;

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.