AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a few days it seems like trying to read through all relevant posts to determine what AVR (or pre/post) setup to move to from my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS. My eyes are going numb from having read and bounced from yamaha, marantz, denon, integra, etc. and trying to decide on one AVR or a pre/post setup.

Have a dedicated 7.1 home theater room (12'x24') I built out with professionally designed acoustic treatment and custom designed speakers. Two main sources are a Oppo BDP-83 or DirecTV HD. I've looked / listened to a lot of but i think I'm either leaning toward a Denon 3311 and a XPA-3 or a Denon 4311. Any advice on one option vs the other? 90% movies / 10% music. I might spend up to $3k total if the extra $1k jump would really be worth it. Thanks...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you like to listen to music loud, I think the XPA-3 is possibly the better option because it can push a ton of power into two channels.

For movies I did not notice a big difference when I added an XPA-3 to my Yamaha RX-Z7. Of course, your mileage may depend on how loud you listen to movies

I don't pretend to be/want to be labeled as an Audiophile though, and my hearing is not great

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's almost all movies. So best wow factor of movie sound.

How does a Integra 80.2 compare to the Denon? Or would i be better off spending on a Marantz AV7005 or Integra 80.2 and XPA amps? Just a bit lost here.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it is a shame you older VSX-82 does not handle HD audio codecs, it is a real beast otherwise. I would lean towards a Denon 3311 and the Emotiva XPA-3 to power the front 3 speakers. The 3311 will have more than enough "umph" to power the surround speakers. You could also consider the Pioneer VSX-1120 (currently on very agressive sales with various dealers) and the XPA-3. All the features you need in a less expensive receiver and the brute power of the Emotiva for the "wow" effect

1 - 4 of 4 Posts