AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 12' x 20' Pergola outside that I want to put an outdoor "theater" in. I am planning on using a 120" 16x9 white screen with 1.1 gain from Elite Screens on Amazon. I plan on setting it in the center of the wide (20') section as the set up has us sitting facing out from the house. I am also planning on getting the BenQ W1080ST Projector as I will need a short throw. It looks like I should be able to set it up 6'7" from the screen for a 120" picture.

I can't decide if I should put a tarp up and use a computer speaker setup (so that I wouldn't need a receiver) or get some outdoor speakers. I can get a new set of Logitech Z906 500w 5.1 speakers for $200 that just connect directly to the projector. Otherwise I need a receiver and some nice outdoor speakers that will cost A LOT more.

As far as setting up the projector, I can either just set it on a coffee table or I can mount it to the top of the pergola.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning a tarp. If you are thinking about leaving your speakers out in the elements then you need to spend the extra $ and get some outdoor speakers. Since you are going to have to pack up you projector and your media source I would recommend getting a 5.1 HTIB that has HDMI in/out it doesn't add much to your setup time will give you more options as far as you inputs go and will sound better also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you for the response. I meant a tarp to cover the whole pergola. It only rains about 2 weeks a year (East Bay area in California).

I would like to leave it out although it does hit 90+ during the Summer. Maybe leave the speakers up and have a quick disconnect for the projector (or just use the projector on the table).

Of course having a tarp over the pergola kind of defeats the purpose...

Oh, instead of a home theater in a box, shouldn't I just get a receiver and some outdoor speakers? I would just have to pack up the receiver and the projector, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

For some reason my wife really doesn't want me to get a projector. She would rather I get a 65" 4K TV for the house. Small dilemma here. My plan was to get the projector now for decent price (less than $2,000 for the whole setup) and later get a 65" OLED 4K TV. Hmmmmm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts