AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a new X1 projector for the last monthn and love it. But I cannot use my VCR because its RCA and the receiver doesnt have RCA inputs. So I need to convert to SVGA is there some wire or adapter to use for this?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Chris

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You can't have a simple cable. Composite video is 480i for black and white and 240i for NTSC color information. You have to:

1) separate the two

2) upconvert the color to 480i

3) combine the two and transform them into RGB 480i

Just to the the first 3 steps is a lot of hardware. Remember that VGA connector is RGB so you have to do those three steps first.

Leszek

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
You probably want to connect your VCR via the X1's composite video input--the yellow RCA jack.

You probably do not want to try to get a composite to S-Video converter. There are such devices, they are called "Y/C separators" "comb filters" and the like. The X1 has one built in, and it is probably as good as anything you can reasonably expect to get.

The other solution is to use a VCR that has S-video output such as a JVC S-VHS machine. But this would also be expensive.

Just connect the composite output of the VCR to the composite input of the X1 and you will get results that are about as good as you can expect from VHS.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi... thanks but two problems with that. One is the 30' cable run to the X1, and two (most importantly) I'd like the receiver to switch the video along with the audio and nothave an extra step to do with the X1 remote control to switch from svid to composite.

How much are the adapters and where can I check them out?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK great thanks... now I am getting the picture... (haha)

But the $99 monster cable is too much money if the picture quality gets ANY worse (vhs is bad enough). And at $249, I *think* I can just get a svid vcr. Any suggestions on that like the jvc mantioned above?

Thanks for all the good info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.