AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem: In trying to set up my living room (the "home theater"), I was going to build a stand for the pj - however I cannot quite get the right distance between the screen & pj due to my couch! (its either in front of the couch in a coffee table which makes it too close, or behind the couch on a stand, which makes it too far!). The other option is mount it to the ceiling to get the perfect distance... The center of my screen is about 58" from the ceiling (my seating is low to the ground). The ceiling is 8' high. In order to stay under the 15deg. limit of tilt, The pj needs to be offset from the ceiling about 2 feet. 2 feet seems like quite a bit - I dont really care how aesthetically pleasing the mount is, just as long as it works. Is 2' too much offset for unistrut?? And can I get 15deg. worth of tilt out of unistrut?

Thanks,

--Eric

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
That sounds off for some reason?

What kind of projector are we talking about here?

I have a 1031Q mounted on an 8' ceiling and there is only about 4" of space between the projector and ceiling. The ceiling mount places the bottom of the projector at this position automatically. The screen is about 12" from the ceiling to the edge of the black frame.

2' from the ceiling is going to look awfull and you could smack your head on it right? I know you said you dont care what it looks like and that you want it to work but lets get the make of the projector and see what we could do. :)

I think your manual is saying that the projection angle is 15 degrees(downward to the screen) when the projector is level with the ceiling.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an ecp4100 - it would be mounted in an area that I actually cant walk under so I wouldnt smack my head anyway - though it would look ugly as hell. But I want function over looks.

As for the 2' distance bieng off, its really about 20", or at leat that is what it comes out to according to my calculations. The problem is created due to the requirements of my screen. The center of the screen is only 38" off the floor (58" from the cieling), and since the room is so small, the screen will not be very wide (about 66"), which puts the PJ ~94" from the screen. From what I understand, the keystone correction can only correct for 15 degrees of pj tilt. With the pj mounted directly to the cieling with no gap , the angle would be 25.5 degrees (the center of the green lens sits 13" below the base of the pj). So tan^-1((58-13)/94)=25.5 In order to make this 15 degrees, the distance between the center of the lens to the cieling would have to be 25.2". So 58"-25.2" leaves 32.8" leftover. Subtracting 13" from this (since the center of the green lens is 13" below the bottom of the pj) I find that I need 19.8" worth of spacing from the ceiling (with 15 degrees of tilt at the projector) to get the center of the image to the center of my screen. Is my reasoning sound? Can it be done?

--Eric

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
"I see said the blind man"

Yea, My screen is 56" to the center so I do see the big differance. granted we have completly differant projectors but even then I would have to make mine majorly tilt to make it hit a 38" center with out overdriving the keystone adjustment or even get it to project a square image.

Your going to have to make a hell of a mount it sounds like. I think if you brace the unistrut up good you can make a support with the front of the projector angled without worring about it too much. If there is a way to sink the rear end of the projector into the ceiling / attic you might be able to keep it up tighter to the ceiling while you angle the front downward. I dont know if you can do that or not depending on the instalaltion and attic space and which way the ceiling joistes are going.

It sounds like you got it figured good, just building a support is goign to be fun. I think unistrut and all thread is going to be the answer using longer lengths of all thread at the front of the machine and smaller pieces at the back.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The unfortunate part is that this is in an apartment, so I cant 'dig into' the drywall too much (I dont care about the lag screws to attach it - what the landlord doesnt know wont hurt him LOL). The problem that i'm seeing with the unistrut is that I dont think its going to be sufficient to get the angle I need... None of the bolt holes on the pj swivel, so it may have to stay level. I can build pretty much anything, so I can probably come up with something -- this looks like another idea:

http://www.hitechplace.com/crt/imagepages/image198.htm

http://www.hitechplace.com/crt/imagepages/image199.htm

The couch is what is really in the way of a floor stand. Might be easier to just replace the couch with a smaller one :D hmm - maybe I could build a stand that sets over the middle of the couch (noone sits there anyway), and have the 'feet' of the stand go under the couch... But then I have a projector right above my head and to the right.

--Eric

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for your thread Bugman74! I went to the links you posted and am now very depressed:( I am soooo poor!

I didn't know the beyond-wealthy had time to watch movies not to mention watch programming in their dress shirts and ties.

My wife and I must live very sheltered lives as we don't even know anyone with furniture like that.

Gary - born on the wrong side of town!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wish I had pictures of this but I've not taken them yet...

Anyway... My PJ sits about 7" from the ceiling which isn't much but I think the way I did this will work for you.

Bolt unistrut to your joists. Take 1/2 inch threaded rod at proper length and bolt that to the unistrut now attached to your ceiling. Bolt more unistrut to the threaded rod. Now you have a place to mount the projector that is below your ceiling. Four or more threaded rods bracing the two runs of unistrut should easily keep the pj in place. Just make sure the first set of unistrut attached to the joists is very securely attached. I had two ~200 pound friends hang from my pj mount without flexing the unistrut. I hope that was a good test.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>>>>went to the links you posted and am now very depressed I am soooo poor!

Dont feel to poor - none of those are pics of my setup (I WISH). I'm a very poor college student (especially after the purchase of a projector)... My couch consists of an UGLY old flower patten that I have covered over in a blue sheet to make it look better :D

And I sure dont watch movies in dress clothes (actually, I dont OWN any lol)

--Eric

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BugMan74
Is 2' too much offset for unistrut?? And can I get 15deg. worth of tilt out of unistrut?
1. The projector has some degree of throw angle built-in (on my Sony, it's 13.6 degrees) with the base mounted parallel to the floor/ceiling. IOW, you probably only need a couple of degrees.

2. 15 degrees is 3" in a foot, which seems like a lot. If (for other reasons) you do need that sort of mis-alignment, I'd combine Unistrut with pipe clamps and some steel pipe

In my ASCII art, '_' characters are just there so that the forum software doesn't mangle the spacing.

Side view:

UUUUUU

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>>>The projector has some degree of throw angle built-in

Aha! Completely forgot about that - your right. So does that mean I can do an extra 15degrees on top of what the projector already has built in (or 15 degrees total including how much is built in?)?

Thanks,

--Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.