AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
This is my first post on AVS and I hopeful that someone can answer my questions. I bought a used Sony STR DH510 on ebay for $30 and it works very well but I do not have the factory remote. I have a Logitech Harmony 650 that I use to operate the Sony STR DH510, a 50" Samsung plasma HDTV and a Dell Optiplex 390 computer.

I downloaded the owner's manual from Sony's site. Boy, is it poorly written or what??

Unfortunately the remote can only control basic functions of the Sony: power, volume, input, radio station presets, etc. This receiver has settings for large or small speakers, speaker volume leveling, and surround effect at low volume (Night mode) that seem to require the remote control.

A used remote will cost as much as I paid for the receiver so I prefer not to buy one. I'm retired and tight with my $. :D

Is there a way to check whether the speakers are set for large or small when the receiver has been reset to the default mode? I achieved the default by holding the power button until the receiver's screen said CLEAR.

How can I adjust each speaker's volume w/o the remote? And, finally, can I control the Night mode from the receiver's front panel?

I am very pleased with this Sony receiver but it does not have the power that my old Onkyo 320 had. But, hey, what can you expect for 30 bucks? I retired the Onkyo because I wanted HDMI.

Thanks for your input and I look forward to exchanging ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only way that you can access the settings that you're looking for is from the Amp Menu, which has no button on the receiver itself. Did this menu not come up when you programmed the Harmony? Looking at the receiver (I have a newer version Sony), there is no other way that I can see.
May you could pick up a cheap learning remote and copy the command from a similar Sony, most of which have the Amp Menu button.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts