AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Sony Bravia XBR8 46" and it is on the tv stand it came with, which as you may know, doesn't lift the tv up very high. Now I just bought a new center channel which sits in front of the tv, and the center channel is 7" in height so it covers about 3 inches of the tv's displayable area, meaning it cuts off the picture where subtitles or the black bars are in 2:35:1 aspect ratio, and its driving me nuts lol. So I am wondering if you guys know of a new stand I could buy that is adjustable in height so that it raises it up about 7". I was thinking of buying a piece of wood to put under it, but if I make it larger than the base of the tv, I won't have room to put the center there, and I'm really trying not to purchase new furniture. Any ideas?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I agree with wall mount, but if you cant, why not build a small frame out of 2 2x4 with 1x4 on top? the actual height will about 4-4.5" which will give you the height you want. you can stain the frame the same color as the stand which should hide it a little more. I realize it will be stuck behind your center channel speaker so it probably wouldnt be seen anyway. you can even face the frame with 1x4 so you wont see the seams. you are talking about a 30 min project that will cost less than $20.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11
I agree with wall mount, but if you cant, why not build a small frame out of 2 2x4 with 1x4 on top? the actual height will about 4-4.5" which will give you the height you want. you can stain the frame the same color as the stand which should hide it a little more. I realize it will be stuck behind your center channel speaker so it probably wouldnt be seen anyway. you can even face the frame with 1x4 so you wont see the seams. you are talking about a 30 min project that will cost less than $20.
Not really aesthetically pleasing. I like the wall mount or Z-Line alternative.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you have an Ikea nearby, go to their As-Is section and buy a nice looking board (cabinet door, bookcase shelf, plank, whatever) for $1. Then buy some standing legs like this . Then just screw them onto the $1 board and you're set
. Its what I did for my TV/center-channel riser and it looks pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim
Not really aesthetically pleasing. I like the wall mount or Z-Line alternative.
hidden behind a 7" center speaker it won't show except for the side and would be in shadow even at that. Build a cheap stand, paint it black (or whatever blends with your TV stand). Not much sense in putting $$ into something that will never be seen...all depends on your setup though and how visible it would be from the side (if at all).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts