AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my current setup. I'm pretty happy with it. Obviously, i'd love to go 60" at 1080P and maybe get Paradigm studio 100's instead of my 20's but overall quite happy with it. My only issue (or rather my wife's issue which then becomes my problem) is the center channel speaker is literally level with the bottom of the panny's image plus the tv stand seems busy.

As we rent, we cannot mount the plasma to the wall. I would love to keep my current credenza (from ethan allen) but need a way to lift the plasma up. Does anybody have any ideas of how to raise the TV? I see that salamander designs and BDI have some solutions for their stands but ethan allen does not. Are there any 3rd part solutions? Anything? Thanks for the helps guys.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can't use a wall mount??? The holes won't be that big. Just patch them w/ some drywall mud.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How long do you plan on staying there? It is pretty easy to repair wall after you leave. It basically amounts to filling 4 small homes and patching two small squares. If you keep the sheet rock you cut out it would be very easy.

Nice setup, that TV would look awesome mounted there.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i don't think i can mount it. There is a room on the other side, not sure if that makes a difference. Plus then I'd have to run wires through the wall...not sure how long i'll even live there.

So this plasma mount that you posted on here, i put this on my table or does this go on the floor? Do i need to drill this into the ground? stabilit is obviously an issue...have you tried this stand or have you seen any real life implementations?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So that premier mount will raise the plasma higher than the stand that my plasma comes with? Also it says i need a piece that can support 5x the weight of the plasma...i don't even think ethan allen says that sorta stuff on their pieces...should i be ok? i mean the TV stands on my furniture with the cc-470...is the stand that heavy?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

So that premier mount will raise the plasma higher than the stand that my plasma comes with?

Yup but I don't know by how much.

Quote:
Also it says i need a piece that can support 5x the weight of the plasma...i don't even think ethan allen says that sorta stuff on their pieces...should i be ok? i mean the TV stands on my furniture with the cc-470...is the stand that heavy?

They're just being cautious. The stand weights 44Lbs. Unfortunately as I mentioned, I don't have any experience with this stand so I can't help you further. Your best bet is to call Premier Mounts as they should be able to answer your questions better than me.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Do you have the ability (or a friend with the ability) to build a little box/stand out of wood? You could build it to house the center channel speaker and the TV would sit on top of that.

Stain it to match the TV stand and you're in business.

ft

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok /forum/post/0

Do you have the ability (or a friend with the ability) to build a little box/stand out of wood? You could build it to house the center channel speaker and the TV would sit on top of that. Stain it to match the TV stand and you're in business.

This is an excellent idea, and i'd go one step further and have a local custom furniture maker build it and have him design it to mimick the design of the EA piece so it looks like it came from EA.

Another idea would be to modify the back EA Credenza and build/attach a solid secure upright structure or sturdy pole then attach a basic wall bracket to it, then "wall hang" the display on it. You could even make it swivel a little to face it more toward the left couch to even out the viewing angles a bit

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Go to your Ethan Allen, and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to match up something nice that you could add to raise your plasma. Don't forget to plan for that upgrade.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok /forum/post/0

Do you have the ability (or a friend with the ability) to build a little box/stand out of wood? You could build it to house the center channel speaker and the TV would sit on top of that.

Stain it to match the TV stand and you're in business.

ft

MY Pops did this, worked out out Great...making me think I might do it just so I can put my Center there... He had a local cabinet maker do it..whipped it out, fair price looks/works awesome.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, maybe I will try that. I'm also just considering moving the stand into another room and maybe getting something like the BDI 8540 which has the mounting stand. Anybody have this? Is it worth it? I read through the whole furniture thread and could not find a lot of info, wish I could find some reviews.
http://www.bdiusa.com/avfurniture/avion_noir_8540.shtml

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jason,

I was in somewhat in the same situation as you when I bought my 1140HD. After months of painstaking research I settled on a combination of Bello Stand and mount. Here's a link. I absolutely love it....plus it could cost you have the price of the BDI or Salamander. IMO, having looked at all of them, this set up give you the most bang for your money. Hope this helps....a newbie on the site and I was just hoping to contribute and put my 2 cents in

http://www.bello.com/images/products/WAVS-330_Room.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
This is similar to what i did to my bedroom dresser. I bolted a sturdy square tube steel pole to the backside of the dresser and mounted my 26" LCD TV to it with a small articulating mount bolted to the steel pole.

I think i saw a kit somewhere that bolts to the backside of a standard credenza or dresser so you can mount the flat panel to it so you might want to check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

·
Registered
694 Posts
At the risk of being flamed I will ask if you have actually given any serious consideration to a physically smaller center speaker. After all yours looks like a buick
on that gorgeous credenza.

By serious consideration I mean actually bringing something home and trying it out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lewlew:

Unfortunately, all the paradigms get even larger than this one. So either I have to get rid of my setup (to maintain the same timbre upon panning sounds) or a new piece of furniture. As my speaker setup is more expensive than a BDI avion, then it still seems like the more sensible choice is to get new furniture or figure out some way to mount the plasma. Plus my paradigm studio 20's sound so good....and if i were to upgrade my speaker setup, i may go even more expensive.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
How about moving the center channel above the TV and aiming it downward toward the seating area? I think that nice credenzza would look nicer without it on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.