AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am entering new waters here looking for a suitable third-party programmable remote. I hope some of the experts have some good suggestions for me.

I have a Kenwood VR-509 A/V receiver that came with an outstanding remote, the RC-R0811. It has been great for about three years, but now the volume buttons are getting very flaky. It needs to be replaced, but it looks like the RC-R0811 is discontinued, so I have a problem.

What I like about this remote is this: when you use it to switch inputs, the remote simultaneously assumes the codes for the source device connected to that input. It also maintains its full functionality for controlling the audio functions of the receiver. It is also RF which means it has good range and doesn't need to be pointed. It has an LCD screen that tells you what input and source device is currently active.

In looking at the third-party remotes out there, I see several that you have to push a button to put it into the different source modes. Then I assume you have to push a different button to cycle the receiver's inputs. This means that it would be possible to get the source and the input out of sync.

Any ideas on what to use as a replacement?

·
Registered
73 Posts
there are tons and tons of remotes out there that will do this from $15 on up to $7-800.

The audio feature you're looking for is called "punch-through" and can also be used to set the channel buttons to always control the cable box... etc.

I would recommend you try the clicker picker at www.remotecentral.com

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, PeteMN! The Clicker Picker is cool - great way to look for a remote.

I have some shopping to do...:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
how much are you looking to spend? You could get away with $50 or less easy if you don't want anything fancy (i.e. no LCD or buttons you can custom label). If you go that cheap get a JP1 enabled remote with cable.

if you want to go a little higher, people seem to like the harmony remotes ... and I love my Universal Remote Control MX-700 ...

Like mentioned above, Passthrough allows a given key to work across multiple (or all) devices (i.e. volume) ... and macros I think are the other thing you're looking for. Where you press a button to activate a device (say DVD player) and everything gets powerd up, and all inputs on audio receiver and tv are changed to the proper inputs.

remotecentral.com's reviews are awesome as well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am willing to go $200. I kind of like the LCD to display the source and device but I don't want a touchscreen. Custom labeled buttons might be useful...have never had that feature before.

I love the idea of macros. I tried macros with my current remote but it's tricky because of no direct input modes on my TV (which is now a Panny AE700). The macros don't work unless the "starting input" on the TV is always the same.

The URC Automator is looking pretty interesting. I agree the remotecentral reviews are the greatest!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Can you get to a known "starting input" by hitting CHANNEL UP?

On my Pan. RP-LCD, CH. UP always takes you to the antenna input. That puts you at a known input and you can just hit "INPUT" the proper number of times to get to the desired input.

·
Registered
384 Posts
and are you sure there aren't discrete codes for your inputs? on my sony tv the remote just had an 'input' button ... but it has discrete code for each individual input that was in the database for my MX-700 ...

I tried looking at pronto files for the AE700 but the closest I found was AE300 ... perhaps they're close to the same?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, you guys are great! Thanks for these responses - lots of ideas coming in here.

AcuraCL, I am going to experiment with my AE700 to see if I can find a method to start at a known input as you suggest. Same for my receiver. Man, that would be incredible if it worked and I could use macros!

jackshakes, discrete input codes for the AE700 is also a cool possibility! I will check into that as well.

I am really glad I asked about this stuff! :)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:
No code has to be inserted here.
Codes for the AE300 should work. Most manufacturers use the same codes for most of the products in a line. IE - a given Manufacturer uses the same codes for all of its current DVD players. So whether you have model WXYZ-200 or WXYZ-500 the codes should be the same.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
I saw some of this type of thing but was wondering how it worked. So the keypad has conductive rubber on the back of the keys? Interesting. I had taken it apart to "clean" the board and the pads with electronics cleaner but it didn't work. I suspected something was "worn" but wasn't sure just what it was. Well, this certainly seems like it is worth a try, because I love my current remote! Thanks for the tip Robman!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
On the projector (I have a AE100 so I assume it works like the A700 generally), but there is only one discrete code on the AE100... the "PC" input. From that you can set it to go to any input but cycling the "input next" command however many times you need. I have a harmony 659 remote and it works prefectly.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like there is a discrete input on the AE700: component. There is only one input associated with this button. There are two other input buttons: Video/S-Video and HDMI/PC. So it looks like the macro idea could work! How cool is that? :cool:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just read this at remotecentral.com:

Quote:
Well, my Kenwood VR-509 A/V receiver is an RF-only device. The RC-R0811 remote puts out RF to control the receiver and IR to control other devices. So I guess I better be able to fix my OEM remote, or else spring for an OEM replacement.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't also respond to IR commands? Many of the Kenwoods do. Try turning off the RF transmission and see if it still works. Press and hold SET UP on the front panel of the receiver for more than two seconds, repeating that until it reads RF OFF.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Hey, that worked MikeSCC! What a great tip - now I have some options!

·
Registered
34 Posts
you could try the URC 300 from Home Theater Master, I'm not sure on the price, but you can upgrad to RF it has 10 touchbuttons and the regular remote stuff, transport, channel, numberpad as hardbuttons, it does macro's, punchthru's, not to hard to program either, you could do it yourself, but you need the remote control for each component to learn into it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just read the remotecentral review on the URC 100, 200, and 300. Man, the thoroughness of those remotecentral reviews in unbelievable! I have never seen any product review that is so complete! At $150 MSRP, It looks like the URC represents the best value (function per $), although the URC 300 isn't much more at $200 MSRP.

I found out that my receiver is also able to go to a "known starting point" on the input cycling, so I am getting pretty psyched to try macros! Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I just ordered up the Home Theater Master MX-500. I really like the look and layout of the remote, and the capabilities looks like it perfectly matches what I need. Plus I was really surprised at the value! I am going to go ahead and repair my old remote just so that it remains viable for teaching the new one, and then I am going full-tilt-boogie for macros! I can't wait! And WAF is going to be off the scale!

·
Registered
384 Posts
just fyi ... with the mx-500 you'll need a separate remote if you want to do descrete codes (i.e. power on, power off, etc). bluedo.com packages the mx-500 with the urc-8811 to do this. You can get this separately for $19 or $34 with a JP1 cable.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.