AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
and when I say separate remote. .. I don't mean you'll have to use two to control your equipment (that would defeat the purpose) ... i mean you need to program your descrete codes into the URC-8811 then use it to learn the command to the mx-500 ...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
jackshakes,

I am glad you mentioned that detail because it's pretty important! I need to go back and get those two items - the place I got the MX-500 didn't offer that cool package deal. Thanks for the follow up!

By the way, are you familiar with the IRClone-MX programmer for the MX-500 using a PC? How would that compare to the URC-8811 / JP1 method?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
They're two different things really. The 8811/JP1 combo is used with the MX-500 strictly to obtain discrete commands. In most cases, you don't even need JP1. With IRClone, you are doing all the programming off the MX-500 on a PC. This is a real time saver when it comes to editing text labels and also allows you to easily change and save multiple configurations. With IRClone, there's an auxiliary program that you can use to obtain discrete commands from Pronto files, or if you have the raw hex code.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The more I think about setting up macros, the more it seems like discrete codes are almost a given. I don't want to have my family trying to use the macros in the wrong scenario and end up cycling the equipment off and on randomly because there aren't discrete codes for the power functions.

I think I ought to go with the 8811/JP1 combo (might as well spring for the cable - it's cheap enough) and see how that goes. If it looks like I want/need to get into it even more, I could give the IRClone a try.

I really cannot get over the help you guys are giving me with this...I would never have figured out this stuff on my own!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally I was going to get the 500 with the IRCLone ... I downloaded the software to play with and thought it was pretty neat. I was drawn to being able to use my PC to program the 500.

However, with the small amount of time I spent palying with it, I couldn't really figure out what I'd need to do to get descrete codes working with it. I didn't find the auxilary program Mike mentions ... but I had read that it could be done.

I think the IRCLone software has some good things coming down the pipe. So it may be the way you want to go. Just make sure you can get the descrete codes you need! You can play with all the software without the unit, so download it and do some playing ... remotecentral.com is a great resource for all the pronto files and hex codes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's pretty cool that you can try it out w/o the equipment. I looked at some of it and thought it seemed a bit complex...but sometimes these things turn out to be simpler than they first appear. It seems like remote controls are like a whole sub-hobby within the home theater realm - I mean some guys are really into it big-time.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Quote:
I didn't find the auxilary program Mike mentions ... but I had read that it could be done.
There are a few here: http://www.irclone.com/files.htm

CCF to MX works well.

IRClone only works with the MX-500 and 600. It remains to be seen if they'll be able to adapt it to the new HTM remotes (MX-350 or 650).

Quote:
It seems like remote controls are like a whole sub-hobby within the home theater realm - I mean some guys are really into it big-time.
I don't know anyone like that. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Robman would agree. :D

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Honestly this is exactly why I went with a harmony for the ease of use/setup.... I had a pronto 1000 for a long time and it really start to get old always updating it and redoing the whole thing whenever i added a new device. I spend too much time screwing around with the htpc/projector PQ issues.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Quote:
Robman - just wanted to say that I got the repair kit two days ago and made the repair that night, let it cure 24 hrs and put it all back together last night. Success! Man was it great to have remote action again! Great suggestion from you!

I still have my MX-500 on the way but it was nevertheless important to get the old remote working well anyway in preparation for teaching the MX-500.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you. Btw, if you do decide to get the 8811/JP1 combo, I can hook you up with those.

Now, I have no idea what y'all are talkin' about regarding people treating remote controls as a hobby, what sort of nerds would do that??? ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Actually, I have the combo on the way from BlueDo. It was only after I ordered it that I realized how instrumental you are in the JP1 world! I was in such a rush to get back in action I just ordered the first one I found online. But I really appreciate your help and will definitely keep you in mind for any future remote needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WHen I turn RF off, not even its own receiver will talk to it, none the less any 3rd party ones. Any help please? Can I repair the IR receiver?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Quote:
Originally posted by rickybscs
WHen I turn RF off, not even its own receiver will talk to it, none the less any 3rd party ones. Any help please? Can I repair the IR receiver?
I turned off RF on my Kenwood and my remote would work only intermittently on IR. Even my very powerful MX-500 would not reliably operate the Kenwood.

It is probably not economical to repair the IR receptor on the receiver. I replaced the receiver with a THX-rated Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K and am not looking back.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...866598,00.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. Now i jusst have to convince the wife why we need a new receiver just because I decided to get a Sony AV3100 remote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke
I turned off RF on my Kenwood and my remote would work only intermittently on IR. Even my very powerful MX-500 would not reliably operate the Kenwood.

It is probably not economical to repair the IR receptor on the receiver. I replaced the receiver with a THX-rated Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K and am not looking back.
It is pretty easy to repair the IR receptor on kenwood receivers. Just open up the case, and remove the circuit board on the front panel to see the IR receiver(it looks like a little LED.) Then turn the circuit board over to see the 3 pins connecting the IR receiver to the board. These have a tendency to crack on kenwood units for some reason, you can probably see the fine cracks circling around each pin. Just heat them up with a soldering iron and add some more solder if needed (be careful not to solder them together) to remake the connection. I did it on my VR-505 and it fixed the IR remote problem completely. It was so much nicer to be able to use the remote consistently.

-On a side note, I upgraded from a VR-505 to a VR-5700 recently. I noticed though that the 5700 seems to have less power than the 505 did! Also, for some reason, after switching inputs, or fast-forwarding on my DVD player, sometimes the receiver goes silent. No sound at all. But it is not muted, and the only way I can get the sound back is to turn it off and back on again. It doesn't always happen, but frequently enough to be annoying. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey, I still have my Kenwood boxed up, so when I got your tip on fixing the IR receptor, I went right to work on it. Sure enough, the solder was cracked around all three leads! I touched it up with a soldering iron and a bit of fresh solder and it is "back in bidness"! This will be a great second 5.1 unit for the family room!

Thanks for the tip!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.