AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Onkyo died last night so I guess I need a new receiver. I have researched the Marantz 5009, Denon AVXR4100 and the Anthem MRX510.

I am only running 5.1 and will never add more channels. I might eventually add a second sub(why I like the Denon Sub EQ). I am running 8" Noble Fidelity in walls for LCR and 6.5" Noble Fidelity in ceiling for surrounds. My sub is a PSA XS30. I am hoping to keep this around $1000. Are the Denon or Anthem worth the extra money? Any other brands/models to explor, Pioneer or Yamaha?

50/50 movies(or TV)/music.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news.. I think my issue was a speaker wire that was grounding out on the chasis. After some very bizzare behavior this am everything seems to be working okay. I unhooked everything and plugged it back in(it was unplugged all night). Nothing.. No lights no response at all. I was convinced that it was dead. Left it alone and went upstairs for a couple of hours. When I went back to the TV room, it was magically on. I approached it shut off again. I was able to turn it back on. Onkyo had me do a factory reset. I hooked everything back up and it seems to be working. We will see how long it lasts though. The cooling fan doesn't seem to run, I wonder if it is bad and it's over heating.

I don't have an UHD now but I am sure I will buy one in the next 5 years.

I do use XT32. It just seems that everyone thinks that Marantz is superior sounding product.

Onkyo suggested trading my 818 in on a newer refirb'd model for 40-50% off MSRP. I believe that they stopped using Audyssey but developed their own room correction software.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. X4100W has both XT32 and Sub EQ HT while Onkyo AVRs now use AccuEQ (no EQ of FL/FR/sub). If you want more specific information or pricing on the X4100W, please contact us; if we don?t have the product in stock, we can usually get it very quickly.
Thanks! Is anyone offering Tidal streaming in their AVR's?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good news.. I think my issue was a speaker wire that was grounding out on the chasis. After some very bizzare behavior this am everything seems to be working okay. I unhooked everything and plugged it back in(it was unplugged all night). Nothing.. No lights no response at all. I was convinced that it was dead. Left it alone and went upstairs for a couple of hours. When I went back to the TV room, it was magically on. I approached it shut off again. I was able to turn it back on. Onkyo had me do a factory reset. I hooked everything back up and it seems to be working. We will see how long it lasts though. The cooling fan doesn't seem to run, I wonder if it is bad and it's over heating.

I don't have an UHD now but I am sure I will buy one in the next 5 years.

I do use XT32. It just seems that everyone thinks that Marantz is superior sounding product.

Onkyo suggested trading my 818 in on a newer refirb'd model for 40-50% off MSRP. I believe that they stopped using Audyssey but developed their own room correction software.
The newer Marantz products will blow just about any of their Onkyo counterparts out of the water.
This is pretty much an universal sentiment - even here on this forum where, ordinarily, noone can agree about anything. :p

Moreover, Marantz/Denon products are better built and will not likely break after 1-2 years like so many of the Onkyo AVRs. I would not touch a new or refurb Onkyo with a 10 ft. pole. Do yourself a favor and forget that the brand even exists.

Better to pay a little more to get significantly better sound quality, peace of mind and service.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The newer Marantz products will blow just about any of their Onkyo counterparts out of the water.
This is pretty much an universal sentiment - even here on this forum where, ordinarily, noone can agree about anything. :p

Moreover, Marantz/Denon products are better built and will not likely break after 1-2 years like so many of the Onkyo AVRs. I would not touch a new or refurb Onkyo with a 10 ft. pole. Do yourself a favor and forget that the brand even exists.

Better to pay a little more to get significantly better sound quality, peace of mind and service.
My Onkyo is on the fritz again. I have decided that I am not going back to Onkyo. Will either be a Denon 1400 or a Marantz 5009. In your opinion is Denon SQ on par with Marantz?

·
Premium Member
90,404 Posts
My Onkyo is on the fritz again. I have decided that I am not going back to Onkyo. Will either be a Denon 1400 or a Marantz 5009. In your opinion is Denon SQ on par with Marantz?
Some prefer Marantz over the comparable Denon model for 2CH music listening; however, in this instance the Denon X4100W uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 while the Marantz SR5009 uses MultEQ XT.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You did know that you're likely eligible for a free fix for the 818.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html
I appreciate the info. I think my problem is a separate problem. I talked to Onkyo tech services and they asked if loss of audio is my issue. My receiver is completely shutting down or not turning on. Last night my wife was watching tv via HDMI pass through, I went to turn the receiver on and the only thing that happened when I hit power was I lost the pass through(TV lost signal). The receiver never lit up. About 15 seconds later I heard 2 clicking noises but nothing else happened. This is the 2nd time that I have not been able to turn it on. I ran it for several hours the day before without issue. It has also shut down during normal use without explanation. I was initially concerned about my soeaker wires/HDMI cables being shorted out but it exhibited odd behavior being disconnected from everything.

I think it's time I cut my losses and move on to another brand.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just purchased a SR5009. The sound is really nice. I have noticed really nice harmonics with multi voiced harmonies. I expect XT32 is nicer than XT, but XT is definitely better than multi-eq. I bought 5009 as a refurb unit. It seems to be in perfect condition and I saved a lot of money. Enjoy whatever you get.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 809. I did get it repaired under the extended warranty, but in the mean time, I went shopping. After deciding on a Pioneer Elite which I preferred over the Marantz, Yamaha, and Denon offerings, I went to my local AV dealer and spent the weekend at home with an Anthem MRX510. Anthem ARC was a huge assist in improving my sound and also gave me the info I needed to improve speaker placement. I purchased the MRX510 and have been extremely happy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So many good offerings out there.

Tell me this(please). We just built a house and everything is in wall/in ceiling so I have no intention to go greater than 5.1 or 2. Is Dolby atmos in a 5.1 configuration better than Dolby Digital 5.1 or is Dolby Atmos simply adding channels? I asked the guy at Best Buy Magnolia and he said Atmos will sound much better with the same speaker set up as DD. He seemed pretty knowledgable but thought I woukd ask the experts here.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts