AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to place this thread.

My father in law passed away recently and I've since found some old VHS-C tapes and I am hoping there is footage of him and the family on them. I bought an adapter that will allow me to play them in a VHS but I'm not sure where to go from here.

My goal is to have all the tapes on discs (and maybe thumb drives) for each member of the family to keep. I also want to have them on my PC and create a montage in memory of the amazing man I am proud to call my dad. I was looking at VCRs but I'm not sure what I need. Some have tuners and some don't but I can't figure out what that means? I did buy this Mygica EZGrabber . If I get the right VCR and hook it up to that will that be the best solution?

So basically I need a way to copy these tapes to my PC and discs and a program to create a montage with music and edited and whatnot. I'd like to get this all in the best quality possible.

I would like to present this to the famliy this Christmas as a surprise. One of his daughters (my sister-in-law) was talking to my wife the other day about listening to a tape hoping to hear dad's voice again. I think the family needs this. Can you guys help me with this? Thank you so much for your time.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Sorry for your loss...

Simply, yes the Mygica is what you need.

If you record directly to a disc(although to your computer is the better option) it won't matter if the DVD-R has a tuner or not.

It will be MUCH simpler to load the videos to your computer, then edit them into what you want, then make DVD's from the computer(much faster).

The Easycap DC60 is the "same thing". I would almost get both and spend a few minutes with each to see which is easier for you...or which produces a better image(which the image will be the most important thing here)

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Personally I'd suggest you have a good photo lab like Costco handle the job. Easier to do and better results, and probably cost less too. Transferring tape to a computer is all too often a hit or miss thing and by the time you invest in the equipment and learn how to do it you'll be ahead by farming it out.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave /forum/post/20848608

Can someone suggest the VCR that will give me the best video out of this?

If the EZgrabber has S-video (and it looks like it does), I'd go on eBay and look for some good SVHS VCRs, like the Mitsubishi HS-U748. I have one and it works really well.

Just be sure whatever VCR you buy you test it with an expendable tape just in case something goes wrong that you don't end up damaging one of the irreplaceable tapes.

Although honestly if you can find a place that does professional video services it might be a better route. Just have them give you the raw video files and then edit them yourself if that's what you want.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a Costco near me. Any other suggestions on a place that will do this well? I was hoping to be able to do this myself so I could keep it a surprise. I can't drive due to health reasons so I'd probably need to have my wife take me.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Any place that does video duplication or video transfer should be able to pull it off.

But if you want to do it yourself, you can, it's just pretty involved. But I wouldn't buy a run of the mill VCR. The Mitsu HS-U748 I referenced was a $700 VCR back in the day, but you can get them for around $100. They hold up really well.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave /forum/post/20848608

Thanks. So, I just need any VCR and it doesn't need to have tuner? ... Is this one okay?

The VHS mechanisms in recent Funai-built recorders (Magnavox, Philips, Sylvania, Toshiba, Emerson, TruTech, Symphonic, etc., etc., are pretty flimsy, problematic and prone to failure.

If you have lots of videotapes to audition, play and transfer, products with a Funai-built VHS mechanism might not be the best recent products to purchase.

Such a product might be satisfactory for a smaller project. I've owned six Funai-built recorders with VHS mechanisms. These Funai-built recorders had light use. Three of the recorders (one Magnavox, one Sylvania and one Emerson) developed problematic VHS mechanisms. As Dirty Harry asked, "are you feeling lucky?"

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20850916

The Mitsu HS-U748 I referenced was a $700 VCR back in the day, but you can get them for around $100. They hold up really well.

Maybe you're thinking of a different Mitsu S-VHS VCR? I paid ~$175 for a new '748 in 2003, and picked up a coupla replacements from eBay for ~$35-50 starting in 2009/10. The eBay prices were a bit high for a used VCR, albeit a late model, but then the 748 *is* a very good machine.

Although I haven't checked lately, VCR prices overall did seem to bump up a bit from, say, late 2007 to mid-2010 (the last time I bought one). Not surprising, I suppose, as old machines die and people suddenly find a need for a replacement.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/20851721

Maybe you're thinking of a different Mitsu S-VHS VCR? I paid ~$175 for a new '748 in 2003, and picked up a coupla replacements from eBay for ~$35-50 starting in 2009/10.

Were they that cheap? I've seen quotes that were a lot higher, but I'm probably mistaken.

Quote:
The eBay prices were a bit high for a used VCR, albeit a late model, but then the 748 *is* a very good machine.

Although I haven't checked lately, VCR prices overall did seem to bump up a bit from, say, late 2007 to mid-2010 (the last time I bought one). Not surprising, I suppose, as old machines die and people suddenly find a need for a replacement.

I paid $40 for mine in 2009 or so, but they've jumped a little. I've been wanting to get a second one, but I haven't found one for under $50 in a long while now. I quoted $100 because it's about the average between what I've bought and what's on eBay. Right now eBay has three for around $150 apiece. That's a tad high (not that the machine isn't worth it, but I'd hold out for a cheaper one to come along.)

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20852978

Were they that cheap?

Yep, and I remember telling the salesman, no, I want the top model with the jog/shuttle and he said (a) Mitsu didn't make 'em with J/S anymore and (b) that *is* the top model. Looking back, I realize I could have gotten out for $129 (the price of an HS-U448) because all I really needed was a straight VHS machine, not an S-VHS. I thought the S-VHS 748 might have a better, more robust mechanism, but later, when I acquired 448s, I found out that, nope, it didn't.

Keep in mind that I bought my first Mitsubishi in 1998 for ca. $350 and a Panasonic "utility" VCR in early 2000 for $200. So VCR prices were plunging in the early 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20852978

I paid $40 for mine in 2009 or so, but they've jumped a little. I've been wanting to get a second one, but I haven't found one for under $50 in a long while now. I quoted $100 because it's about the average between what I've bought and what's on eBay. Right now eBay has three for around $150 apiece. That's a tad high (not that the machine isn't worth it, but I'd hold out for a cheaper one to come along.)

Yes, you could get a 748 for 40 bucks a coupla years ago. I think I paid between $45 and $65 for my eBay acquisitions (not including shipping). So if they're up to $150 a piece, there's clearly now a *serious* demand for them. That's really kind of amazing; the 748 ran well (though mine gave out a couple of years ago), but it was lightweight as heck--had to hold the thing to avoid pushing it around when you shoved a tape into it.

Interesting times.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I also noticed that VCR prices on eBay climbed up. I guess it's a matter of supply and demand. I wouldn't buy a VCR off of eBay unless you're looking for a specific hard to get model or a betamax-something that's pretty hard to come by locally. I predict that prices for sought after VCRs will still climb before they level off on sites like eBay. Eventually they will fall again to an almost reasonable price - this happened with many sought after super beta VCRs a few years ago.

As for common VHS Hi Fi decks, right now almost everyone is throwing away or already thrown away their VCRs and there's still plenty of supply for current demand but that will eventual change as VCRs start becoming scarce. Right now (in my opinion) IS the best time to buy a VCR off craigslist or similar local classifieds ads. I see all brands of VCRs advertised between $5 and $20. Most of the $20 to $25 VCRs include the original remote and are described as lightly used in excellent condition. In fact I see a few SVHS VCRs described as lightly used go for $15 to $30 and many come with the original packaging. Right now is a good time if anyone needs one. They will eventually become scarce and 1) prices will climb up due to supply and demand and 2) many will have high mileage on them due to the same VCRs being passed around - this happened with the sought after SVHS Panasonic and JVC and the Sony SuperBetas a few years ago.

I say again, if anyone needs a VCR now or thinks they may need one in the future - right now is the perfect time to hunt for a decent VCR via your local craigslist or similar classified ads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your looking for a good price on ebay for used VCR...Try searching for a Samsung.

People hate when I point this out...but Samsung made all the late model Sony and Panasonic machines. No need to pay extra for just their brand name.

Avoid any Samsung machine that says it has a super fast search or rewind...those machines tend to eat tapes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.