AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Integra 9.1 receiver. Currently I have a Y connected to the sub out to feed my 2 powered subwoofers. Here is the problem. I just purchased 2 Buttkickers and 2 DCM1000 amps. I was going to use one of the ouputs on the Y connected to a RCA SA 155 mini amp connected to the the first Carvin DCM1000. The second DCM 1000 will then be connected to the first.

By doing this I will only have one output to go to one powered sub. Can I split this again with another Y to feed the 2nd powered sub?

What would be the best way to accomplish this connection? I was worried about too much signal loss by splitting the signal so many times.

Thanks

DarrenW

·
Registered
484 Posts
Darren,

I have a somewhat similar situation - two subwoofers and a single BK/Carvin setup. I am running essentially two Y-adapters from the LFE output on my amp (Y-adapter connected to a Y-adapter). There has been no perceivable performance issues that I can tell.

When I asked Marvin at Guitammer about any possible problems or concerns with my configuration; "...when the LFE preout signal is split, does the output voltage decrease on all lines?", he replied "...as a general answer, it is dependant on the source output impedance, and the total load impedance. The specific answer is no. The total load of the three units are not enough to load down the output. You should notice no difference in the subwoofer outputs by adding the SA-155, or vise versa."

You could try this yourself - feeding one leg of the first Y-adapter to the SA-155 and the other to another Y-adapter for your subs. I am assuming you are then connecting each Carvin from the SA-155 speaker outputs.

·
Registered
820 Posts
From what I have been told, you can split the single sub output up to at least four times. I have two subs now, and when I enquired about adding two more subs, I was told from a pretty reliable source that I could split the out put via Y connectors so that I have four outputs. So I think you will be ok in doing so!

Rhett

·
Registered
96 Posts
Darren, I also have the 9.1, but I have only 1 sub and 1 Buttkicker. One idea is take one LFE out and split it to the subs. For the oter you could either split it and run to the left and right channel on the SA-155 for each to feed one of the Carvins or run one into the SA-155 and split it before the Carvins. I have mine at about. I think the first choice (using bothe channels of the SA-155) would be best, as I have myine set at about halfway to run one Carvin with that (carvin) set at full power. Good luck. I don't know what to say because my 1 Buttkicker mounted under the floor to the joists, in a 26x13 Room with 1 Hsu VTF-2 really rocks the house.

John

San Jose, Ca.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. This was very helpful. After looking at the Integra a little further, I realized that I have 2 sub outs. I will use one of them with a Y connector going to my 2 powered subs and I will use the other one going to the SA 155 that will send the signal to the two Carvin amps.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I currently have to Buttkicker 2's on order. They are supposed to be more amplification friendly (as well as a bit smaller). Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge about how much easier it is to drive? Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
You may run into ground loop problems when you split the signal to so many different components. An audio isolation transformer may be needed to break the loops. Cheater plugs are not the answer, and lifting the ground doesn't always work anyway. Furman Electronics makes a few isolation transformers.

-Dylan

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Something that you may want to consider is not to run the additional subs on the LFE channel. We have been doing some experimentation with DD 5.1 and DTS material and are finding that there is a lot of very low base on ALL the channels that needs to be heard. For instance on the Don Henley Live DVD there is a bass guitar solo that is predominately in the center channel.

You may want to do some experiments where you take your L,R and Center pre outs and run them into subs and see what you think. I just added a large sub to my systems LFE channel which left me with two subs and an amp left over. Added them to my L & R channels and am very pleased with the overall effect. The LFE carried the effects and the fronts are full range.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Unfortunately, few folks have the space, bucks and craziness to have, like me, five Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofers (for my five main channels only) and three Aerial SW12 subwoofers (for LFE, and also

additional bass below 50 Hz due to how I've setup the crossover). For most folks its best to use the subs for LFE, and also to use them for your front left and right speakers (if you ONLY have two subs) if your surround processor permits this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.