AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I searched but couldn't find the answer, if I missed it, please forgive me.
I am using a PC to watch TV (recorded and live), as well as stream movies. When I'm streaming a movie, I want to be able to watch it with the A/V receiver on. Thats easy of course. I also want to be able to watch the TV news or other shows using the TV speakers.
My Elite SC-05 does not have HDMI pass-through, so I think I need a HDMI switching device. I already tried a splitter. It doesn't work at all.
I could easily program my Harmony remote to switch the switcher as needed.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Adding a Distribution Amp (Splitter) will likely only work if you are Outputting a signal the TV supports (HD Video + Stereo audio) - send HD Video + 5.1 audio to most TV's and you will have no audio, just the Front LR (no voice) or a loud Buzz. If you hit that problem you will need to learn to toggle the PC HDMI Output between 2.0 and 5.1 audio.

Distribution Amp (DA) is the correct device a Switch would not work where you have a single Output from the PC.

Distribution Amp (DA) - another problem you may be hitting is the PC not seeing the DA as an active Sink, that may be solved by adjusting the power/Sleep mode settings on the PC to ensure it is always on. If that does not fix it you require an EDID Manager between the PC and the DA.

PC - could you install a second HDMI Output card or external USB to HDMI Adapter to the PC?

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding a Distribution Amp (Splitter) will likely only work if you are Outputting a signal the TV supports (HD Video + Stereo audio) - send HD Video + 5.1 audio to most TV's and you will have no audio, just the Front LR (no voice) or a loud Buzz. If you hit that problem you will need to learn to toggle the PC HDMI Output between 2.0 and 5.1 audio.

Distribution Amp (DA) is the correct device a Switch would not work where you have a single Output from the PC.

Distribution Amp (DA) - another problem you may be hitting is the PC not seeing the DA as an active Sink, that may be solved by adjusting the power/Sleep mode settings on the PC to ensure it is always on. If that does not fix it you require an EDID Manager between the PC and the DA.

PC - could you install a second HDMI Output card or external USB to HDMI Adapter to the PC?

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll look into the USB to HDMI adapter. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
'Should work' - is a long way from will work :)

Have seen way too many systems where the Source devices don't change Output based on which Sink is active and others which get confused and can lock up if they do sense a change.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
'Should work' - is a long way from will work :)

Have seen way too many systems where the Source devices don't change Output based on which Sink is active and others which get confused and can lock up if they do sense a change.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough.
But toggling the audio format on the PC (or switching sound output devices under some versions of Windows, which only support one at a time) aren't the most convenient workarounds either. At least the OP's Harmony remote could be easily programed to restart/re-sync any persnickety source devices, and to set the matrix switch appropriately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts