AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone would either provide suggestion or direct me to a thread that has some ideas on how to transport a 65" plasma.

In a few weeks, I will be moving and my wall mounted 65" plasma of course will go with me. I am hoping to find a safe way to transport that isn't bank breaking. I don't have the original box but I do have the table stand that came with the plasma. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance for any help

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd  /t/1521004/need-to-transport-a-65-plasma-and-i-dont-have-the-original-box-help-please#post_24439501

I was hoping someone would either provide suggestion or direct me to a thread that has some ideas on how to transport a 65" plasma.

In a few weeks, I will be moving and my wall mounted 65" plasma of course will go with me. I am hoping to find a safe way to transport that isn't bank breaking. I don't have the original box but I do have the table stand that came with the plasma. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance for any help
Not sure how you're transporting the rest of your belongings, but I moved a few years ago via uhaul and I transported my plasma sandwiched between 2 mattresses in the van.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Those large sized bubble wrapping!

Just keep circling it with bubble wrap until it is thick enough.

It had been proven, that bubble wrap can prevent glass from shattering if it falls.

Also make sure to transport the plasma UPRIGHT.

If it lays flat on its back, it can shatter from its own weight from just bumps in the road.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input. I was thinking of using plastic wrap first then bubble wrap. I guess I am worried as I already lost one plasma TV in a move so a bit more cautious. The last one was wrapped in thin bubble wrap then blankets with gaffer tape. The glass was fine but the electronics didn't survive and the cost of "repair" was too high so a new plasma replaced it. - Kuro 5010 to Panasonic VT50 65" seems at the time the right replacement. Given that there are no more Panasonics to be had, I have to make this one last.

While I don't have mattresses to use, I'll perhaps be able to find other padding and maybe gator board .... any other thoughts are welcome and very much appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Go to your local Best Buy, Wal-mart, Sam's Club, Costco if you have one.  They should have a box from a 65" and some packing from it.  You can also get the packing materials from any local UPS Store, or even the Office Stores.  If you have an IT person at where you work, they may have some boxes and packing material they keep around for shipping stuff.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan900  /t/1521004/need-to-transport-a-65-plasma-and-i-dont-have-the-original-box-help-please#post_24445378

Go to your local Best Buy, Wal-mart, Sam's Club, Costco if you have one.  They should have a box from a 65" and some packing from it.  You can also get the packing materials from any local UPS Store, or even the Office Stores.  If you have an IT person at where you work, they may have some boxes and packing material they keep around for shipping stuff.

Interesting idea. I'll check out the two Best Buys in my area. Packing material is easy to get/do but a box that is the right size with some styrofoam inserts might do the trick. Thanks for (pardon the phrase) thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wrapped mine around in very soft blankets and taped it so it was secure. It was completely fine after a cross country drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts