AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would prefer to have it upright, but its not an option due to height...so should I put it screen side down or up? Its a 65" Panasonic. I will be putting a mattress on the ground too to absorb some shock. (in a minivan)...thanks

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/20865636

I would prefer to have it upright, but its not an option due to height...so should I put it screen side down or up? Its a 65" Panasonic. I will be putting a mattress on the ground too to absorb some shock. (in a minivan)...thanks

Then i recommend taking the TV out of the box so it can lay flat on it's back. The foam packing is placed at the ends of the TV so when the box is laying down there is nothing to support the middle of that heavy TV while bouncing down the road. Laying the TV itself flat on that mattress will spread the load evenly across the whole back of the TV's cabinet. I think it would be less risky to lay it on it's steel back, instead of on it's glass face

But it is still very risky. Can't you rent or borrow a pickup truck or a taller van to properly transport the TV home?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driving about 3 hours to get it so I wont be able rent or borrow a vehicle. I would have thought the thick mattress would be enough to absorb any serious shock. Its all highway as well.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If I were doing the same thing, I would lay it with the screen facing down, but I would use styrofoam to support it along the edges of the the TV so that the weight is distributed along the entire bezel, and not on the screen itself. The styrofoam would sit on top of the mattress.

I would also cover the screen with a large plastic bag or sheet to prevent accidental smudging/smearing the display while its being transported.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You are protecting the glass. The problem when transporting a piece of glass is that when it is standing upright, the force of gravity is transferred to the strongest part of the glass, it's edge. It's also evenly distributed. When transporting it flat, the biggest problem is that it isn't always "flat." Just a tiny angle change can result in the stress being placed on a single point in the face of the glass.

With gravity, an object falls until something stops it. So if you are in your truck and you hit something, the entire TV goes up and the entire TV falls until something stops it. If you support just the corners, then the supports stop the corners. But what stops the middle? What stops the middle is the strength of the glass. So by only supporting the corners, or the bezel, you put a lot more force on the center of the glass.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I think agogley has it right. The biggest problem for the glass is the weight of the glass itself.

Keep the mattress and get some blankets. Fold the blankets so they fill the glass portion. Place the TV over the blankets with the glass down. The idea is you want the TV supported by the glass with the blankets over the mattress and the bezel by the mattress (Any maybe a stray piece of blanket). The idea is to minimize stress concentration.

I'm not an expert mover and have never moved a large TV, but I do know a lot about physics.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would want to support the glass and the bezel as the glass needs support so no resonance or movement happens and the bezel because it supports the weight of the rest of the tv(metal frame, circuit boards, covers). So with this in mind I think the whole tv should have even weight distribution on the glass and frame. Like sitting on the mattress with blankets and another small one above that just for the glass without the tv teetering on the glass. Good luck

·
Registered
863 Posts

Quote:
Driving about 3 hours to get it so I wont be able rent or borrow a vehicle.

A lot can happen during a 3 hour trip - especially if the roads are anywhere near as poor as many here in SE MI.

Would the tv fit upright in your van if you took the top of the box off?

Can you remove the 2nd / 3rd of seats & gain enough height?

For a short enough trip, could see us risking the Face Down On Suitable Supportive Padding approach. For 3 hours, would either ante up for a rental, pay an acquaintance with a large enough vehicle, or eat some additional cost for privilege of buying locally (if that is an option).

Assuming a new tv, will the store deliver? At what cost?

Of course, riding around in the back of a Delivery Truck is no picnic - and yet most tvs seem to arrive safely (albeit PRESUMABLY standing upright), so it seems that they can take a fair amount of jostling around.

Still, if a trucking company brings it broken you should have recourse; but if you are unfortunate enough to break it yourself....

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would not under any circumstance transport a 65" plasma laying flat! The risk is just too high. I would find some option to transport upright. Pay to have it delivered if necessary. Rent a truck for the day. Anything but transporting flat.

Good luck and I hope it turns out ok.

Barry

·
Registered
251 Posts
i suggest maybe getting a few boxes together, fold the sides so they are about 8" in height. then go to staples/office max and buy some packing peanuts. lay the display on a few inches of peanuts, then fill around the sides with peanuts too. that may work too....

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. If you can afford a 65" tv you can afford to rent a pickup for a day.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Why not have the store deliver it for you or rent a pickup, it's worth the expense. Like was said before if the delivery company breaks it your covered but if you do.
Ever see a glass company transport glass lying down, not a chance. They ship them upright for a reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think people are overreacting a little bit. The mattress is a good idea, and I would also wrap it with a couple blankets. Try to immobilize it as much as possible. Maybe you can bungie cord it down, or use rope. Obviously, you want to minimize the amount that it will jostle. I think if I were doing it, I'd transport it with the screen facing up, with the weight on the back of the TV.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had to transport mine and all I had was an SUV for my 55ST30. Ended up laying it down a little but I was only traveling a mile and a half. Ive had zero issues. I would in no way go any further with out the tv upright and secure. Rent a pick up or just buy off Amazon and get it shipped for free.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up bringing the tv home no problem. I actually put it in the minivan through the back...on a 45 degree angle. I folded the matress in half and put it underneath the box. This way whenever I hit a bump, the matress would actually move and absorb the shock. I took it out and set it up...works fine. Now...to break in or not to break in? Hmmm

Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good to hear it got home safe, the angle you put it at was better than laying flat. I've never used a break-in disc or anything on my Plasma's(4). Just start watching and enjoy your new TV. You can make final picture adjustments after 100 hrs or so if they are needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.