AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the second time in the last two years my Onkyo is again shutting off after only minutes of being on. Last time it was under warranty and the repair shop said they replaced the power supply. It's now not under warranty and I'm afraid to keep dumping money into it if the problem seems to keep happening. I even had a little fan on top of it the entire time since the first incident.

I think I'm ready to cut and run... I don't want to run into this again next year and have the same dillema. And last time I fixed it, the one Onkyo repair shop by us took three months to fix it!

So based on my setup below, what would be a good receiver for me? It would be nice to have pre-outs, but not critical if it doesn't.

Quote:
Components:

60" LG PK550 Plasma

Playstation 3

Wii

Speakers:

Fronts - Polk Monitor 70s

Center - Polk CS2

Surround - Polk Monitor 40s

Sub - Dayton C1500K 15"
Also, do the higher-end lines of Onkyo have heating issues or should I begin to look at other brands... Pioneer, Denon, etc? Do the other brands have equivelant setup wizards and stuff?

Some receivers I'm looking at so far in the $300-$500 range:

Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1

Onkyo TX-NR708 7.2

Denon AVR-791 7.1

Yamaha RX-V667 7.2

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You have to ask yourself...is it worth fixing something that's given you this much trouble?

Sometimes, it turns out you got a lemon and have to cut and run. I know it's really annoying. But ask yourself, if this is that situation?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm ready to cut and run... I don't want to run into this again next year and have the same dillema. And last time I fixed it, the one Onkyo repair shop by us took three months to fix it!

So based on my setup above what would be a good receiver for me? It would be nice to have pre-outs, but not critical if it doesn't.

Also, do the higher-end lines of Onkyo have heating issues or should I begin to look at other brands... Pioneer, Denon, etc? Do the other brands have equivelant setup wizards and stuff?

Some receivers I'm looking at so far in the $300-$500 range:

Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1

Onkyo TX-NR708 7.2

Denon AVR-791 7.1

Yamaha RX-V667 7.2

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpals /forum/post/19647449

Thinking about waiting until next year... are the models I've posted going to be relevant in 6-12 months or do new ones get released every year?

New ones will be released. Yours on the list will be less expensive if there are any left over.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke32 /forum/post/19647726

I picked up a Pioneer VSX-1120-K a couple of months ago to replace my Onkyo 605 and couldn't be happier with it.

Exactly who I was looking for!

Questions:

- Why did you upgrade?

- Was there a difference in audio/video quality?

- Are the speakers louder/more detailed with the 30 watt per speaker increase?

- How do you like the GUI compared to the Onkyo?

- Did the audio wizard work as good as the Audyssey on the Onkyo?

- How hot is the Pioneer compared to the Onkyo? I know the heat is one of my biggest issues with the 605.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpals /forum/post/19655027

Exactly who I was looking for!

Questions:

- Why did you upgrade?

It got to the point that I needed more HDMI inputs than 2.
Quote:
- Was there a difference in audio/video quality?

If there is, it's not by much. I'm not upconverting anything but cable. Everything else is already 1080p.
Quote:
- Are the speakers louder/more detailed with the 30 watt per speaker increase?

I wouldn't say they're much louder, but I did hear more detail after running the MCACC audio calibration. Audyssey never worked on the 605.
Quote:
- How do you like the GUI compared to the Onkyo?

Much better and logical than the 605
Quote:
- Did the audio wizard work as good as the Audyssey on the Onkyo?

Since the 605 Audyssey never worked, I can't compare, but Pioneer's MCACC is very good and very configurable to your taste.
Quote:
- How hot is the Pioneer compared to the Onkyo? I know the heat is one of my biggest issues with the 605.

So far heat is not an issue and the 1120 has stayed cool and quiet. The 605 did run hot and occasionally was loud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts