AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I have a Samsung Plasma 59 inch connected to a stereo system. My roommate and I work completely different hours and he's the perfect roomate other than the fact he's light sleeper. I figured it would be easy to plug in headphones but I'm stumped after buying $20 dollars worth of cables and still not hearing anything.

So 2 things

1. Like I said its a basic Plasma 59 inch (Series 5 530). The back has 2 hdmi plug ins, a component plug, audio/video plug in and an optical plug in. I'm using the optical plug in for the stereo system. Is there such thing as a cable with a optical plug in on 1 end and a female headphone plug on the other end?

2. Do I need to buy separate headphones with a volume control? My parents when I go home have an expensive Sony TV with a headphone jack in the side and have somewhat the same issue there (Dad's a super light sleeper) so I just plug in the headphones and can control the volume through the TV. I'm thinking that this not going to work on this TV

3. The 1 thing I have done is grab an audio Y cable and hook that to the TV (Component section) but still got no sound. So perhaps I should go out and buy a cheap pair of head phones?

Any and all help is appreciated

·
Registered
151 Posts
This may sound like the obvious but have you set your TV's sound to external speakers, the audio optical out from the TV to your stereo should give you sound to the headphones. What you don't tell us is if you cable a cable box or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtubes  /t/1520363/need-to-use-head-phones-with-an-older-samsung-plasma#post_24423816

This may sound like the obvious but have you set your TV's sound to external speakers, the audio optical out from the TV to your stereo should give you sound to the headphones. What you don't tell us is if you cable a cable box or not.

I'm using Direct TV. HDMI cable from the Direct TV box to the TV. Digital opitcal cable from the TV to the sound system. And yes I did check and the TV is switched to extneral speakers. The sound system is working fine. I just starting to think thou I need to somehow hook the head phones through the optical port?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I am probably not following what is happening here. Are you getting sound (generated by the TV / cablebosx) from your avr? IF so, why don't just plug into the headphone jack on the avr... if it has one... :) Perhaps revisiting the "definition" of exactly what the setyp is along with what works. Finally, what is the sound system?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
if all the audio is going through the avr, the tv should have nothing to do with your headphones. plug the headphones into the receiver and turn off whatever speakers you have hooked up to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts