AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for some recently purchased equipment to arrive as I upgrade my 2-channel system (just bought Bryston integrated amp, Rega Apollo, Spendor speakers). In the process I dug out my 30-year old turntable (Thorens TD 160) from the basement along with some old vinyl. Surprisingly it all still works (after 15 years in the box)! My overall question is this: What can be done to the turntable (other than buying a new cartridge) to improve its sound?

1) Would an outboard phonostage help? (at the moment I'm using the phono inputs on my 5 year old Denon AVR 1802).

2) The original interconnects hard-wired into the turntable seem "flimsy". Can they be upgraded?

3) Would I just be better off buying a new turntable? (I imagine I'll be listening to CDs 75%, vinyl 25%).

Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
My opinion is don't even go there unless you already have a large vinyl collection...

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Maybe stick with what you've got (make sure the Thorens tonearm is adjusted properly) until you figure out whether this is just a passing phase or something you have an interest in committing to for the long haul. There's no reason you can't use the phono stage from your receiver. A possible reason to move towards an outboard phono stage as I see it, would be to have one where things like resistance and especially capacative loading can be varied. This all gets back to various phono cartridges, some of which perform 'better' with a little more or a little less capacitance. Also, if you get into MC designs, the phono stage on your receiver won't have enough gain. But for now, just play around with it and see what your real interest is.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

My opinion is don't even go there unless you already have a large vinyl collection...

I agree to a point, while my vinyl collection is not big by any means(around 500 LP's) it continues to grow because of many new and superior pressings.

Regarding your "tune-up" of your ole' Thorens assuming it is in A-OK working order I would do no more than a new cartridge and maybe cable replacement if doable. I'm not sure of the compliance matching of your tone arm but I would keep total expenditure under $200, anything more and you would be better off on replacing the table.

as far as an outboard phono-pre, I say yes if your plans are to expand your LP intrest, if not, stick with what's in your Denon assuming it has enough gain to match your cartridge output.

good Luck, enjoy the vinyl re-discovery !!!

·
Registered
752 Posts

Chu Gai said:
Also, if you get into MM designs, the phono stage on your receiver won't have enough gain. QUOTE]

I think you ment Moving Coil not Moving Magnet, which in itself does not always mean the need for more gain because of the ever increasing number of HO MC cartridges available today.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I did Twitch and corrected it. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Thorens TD 160 is a gorgeous rig. I agree with some of the others, just make sure this isn't a passing phase. If you fall in love with it again, check out places like audiokarma that focus on vintage gear. You have endless possibilities with the TD 160, I wouldn't even consider getting something newer if I had one!

·
Registered
965 Posts
It sounds like you may have had a decent rig back in the day. It's a long shot, but you may be able to replace just the stylus and keep the cartridge you have already paid for. If it was an Audio-Technica, Ortofon, Shure or another common brand (who are still in business), this is a real possibility.

If you can't find a local shop that can still offer a decent selection of replacement styli, cartridges, head shell leads, etc., I will HIGHLY recommend Needle Doctor in Minneapolis, MN.

They are not new to the game like some online sellers... there is an old school B&M location in MN, and they have had mail-order service Nationwide with ads in the back of Stereophile and the other hi-fi mags for decades.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the suggestions Rick! There are some decent shops here that I've been talking to. One has suggested I'd be fine with the Goldring Elan (entry level) cartridge ($70 US). Anyone think I should spend a bit more or try another brand?

Again, thanks for all the advice! (That audio karma site is great).

·
Registered
765 Posts
That Thorens is better than most sub $1000 tables today. Don't get rid of that unless you are ready to really spend some money. What happens on old tables that have been stored is bearings get dirty or dry out, both platter bearings and arm bearings. Don't know what can be worked on but it's worth an internet search. I would even replace the arm with a good budget arm if I had to and it would be great. Many people still look for those for a good table on a budget.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Appreciate the suggestions Rick! There are some decent shops here that I've been talking to. One has suggested I'd be fine with the Goldring Elan (entry level) cartridge ($70 US). Anyone think I should spend a bit more or try another brand?

Again, thanks for all the advice! (That audio karma site is great).

I think you should spend a bit more and get a Goldring 1000 series cartridge. These cartridges are far better than the Elan (I had an Elan and replaced it with the 1012GX) and have better bass and high frequency response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.