AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new tv and will be getting it from Best Buy. I would appreciate help in choosing which one.

Needs.
Under $1500
Great view angle
Not curved
Great picture in all resolution
Nice easy UI.

I won't be doing 3D.
55" ideal but not sure this is possible for a good tv.
Will be gaming ps4 and Xbox one. Will be getting new ps4 neo and Xbox project Scorpio when released.

Will have Comcast HD.

I already know about limited 4K content but am preparing for future.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you want to be future-proof, you need not only 4K, but also HDR. If you need great viewing angles, that rules out all LCD's, since narrow viewing angles is inherent in the tech. While IPS panels have better viewing angles than VA panels, they still are fairly narrow compared to things like plasma and OLED. But plasmas are gone and OLED is expensive and also reportedly don't have great upscaling.

So, I don't think anything fits all your requirements. I'd say a Vizio P55 likely comes the closest, since it's an IPS panel it will give you the best viewing angle for LCD tech, though still not great. Some have said it's upscaling is just average, though most owners appear satisfied with how it handles lower rez (no 4K TV will look great w/ cable- the highly compressed signals' imperfections will be magnified w/ a larger set and 4K rez). It also has HDR support of both formats, whereas many HDR TV's don't support Dolbyvision, which is the better format. It also excels at gaming, w/ the lowest lag times.

But it's also bleeding edge tech and as such, has some teething problems, so it's not exactly plug-and-play. But Vizio has been very attentive to problems and has been working on FW updates and addressing concerns through great customer service, including their CTO being very active on this forum. Check out the P series owners thread.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have an LG led and its viewing Angels rock. It's from a few years ago. 3D with magic remote. That's an awesome tv that was around $1200 or so from Best Buy when we got it.

So I would think the 4K HDR tvs on Best Buy web site would be fine. One is I think an lg that does HDR and Dolby vision. Less then $1500.

Just research is all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a Vizio M series television that I'm very happy with. They were recently purchased by a Chinese company so hopefully the quality remains the same, but Vizio has always been known for providing excellent picture at an affordable price. There are actually a number of televisions in your price range with 4K and HDR so you can pick from many, but the Sony below is well-reviewed and comes from a reputable brand. As mentioned previously the Vizio P Series is also a good contender. The remote on it is pretty cool too, but that doesn't really matter if you're using a universal remote.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-54-6-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801600.p?id=1219824661812&skuId=4801600

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly Best Buy I go to has no vizio. The Sony one I'm hoping to get soon if I like it if they have it on the floor.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do the two compare? The Sony one above and the vizio above?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'll admit to a bias here, as I recently got a '15 Vizio M65 and have been blown away by the bang-for-buck of what I had previously considered a lower-level brand. I've been following the new M and P series threads and have also been impressed by Vizio's CTO being very involved in this forum and really seeming to care about customer satisfaction (he also started a thread in the LCD forum asking folks what they want in their next 4K TV). I'm not familiar w/ that Sony, but here's what I think I know about the +/- of each:

Vizio +
-FALD (full array local dimming) makes for incredible black levels/contrast, w/ greatly reduced issues re: blooming or light bleed. They also have them designed to have the backlight off in the zones for black bars that accompany movies w/ aspect ratio greater than 16:9, so those black bars disappear completely.

-HDR support of not only HDR10 but also the superior Dolby Vision- though it's currently only available via streaming. DV may or may not be supported in later UHD players; currently only HDR10 in players. Also HDR 10 compatibility is only available via HDMI currently (and just recently after the FW was issued to enable this). A future update is promised for HDR10 streaming capability, though this is pretty moot currently, as DV is the dominant HDR format for streaming.

-Uses google cast for apps, as opposed to smart apps on the TV, which means those apps will continue to be updated, whereas smart apps often get neglected after a year or so and may become unusable or missing features a year or two after the sets get replaced by newer sets. Though this could go in the - column for some, as it requires some learning and it is still in its infancy so there have been some bugs. They are working hard to get these perfected, but it makes these sets less plug&play. They include a small tablet to use for casting, but you can get the Vizio app for any tablet or smartphone.

-Very responsive customer support.

Vizio -

-Still working out some bugs.

-Upscaling of sources less than 1080P have been said by some to be only average.

Sony +

-Upscaling likely better than Vizio; possibly handles motion a bit better

-Likely slightly better color

-Better brand reputation (though this is changing- Vizio is definitely headed upwards)

Sony -

-Edge-lit can't give as deep blacks and will have more problems w/ light bleed and blooming. Black bars will be more dark gray than black.

That's all I can think of; someone add anything I've missed or have gotten wrong.

The biggest factor imo is FALD. I never thought I'd be happy w/ an LCD, but the FALD on my set is incredible; it's even better on the P series (more zones and better algorithms). If you watch TV in the dark or near-dark, the difference will be pretty large. If you only watch in a room w/ a lot of light, that will negate most/all of the FALD advantage.

Personally, I'd suggest getting the P delivered when you have a lot of time to evaluate for 2 weeks and return it if you're not satisfied and then get the Sony. I think the Vizio will be much more than $100 better. Hope you keep us informed how it all turns out.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much. I'm leaning towards the Vizio P 50" or 55". I don't know which because of a couple things.

Cnet article guy and others say the VA screen is better then the IPS. But less view angle. I don't want to deal with view angle issues. I had a Samsung few years ago that when I moved from the center a few inches it got washed out worse. So I need some help please to decide.

50" has only 60hz vs twice that on the 55". I have a very nice lg led from couple three years ago. No blur issues at all. No game lag. I have no idea what it's refresh is.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Also, you might want to look at the LG UH8500 55 inch. Rtings states it is the same panel as the Sony X850D. The LG has local dimming but Rtings does not find it very effective. The X850D has no local dimming but gets brighter. Rtings feels the Sony X850D is slightly better for HDR.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much. I'm probably going to bb in a bit. Will possibly get the 50" Vizio P series model and try it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thanks so much. I'm probably going to bb in a bit. Will possibly get the 50" Vizio P series model and try it.

The Vizio P50 is a VA panel so it is not going to have wide viewing angles. Also, you cannot judge the P55 by the P50 since the P55 uses IPS panels and would have good viewing angles but not have as deep blacks. So while both are P series, they are different TVs. So you cannot make judgments from one to the other.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't know what's wide. Like few inches or couple feet off center or what.
I had one Samsung where you're in the center. If you move just your head it looked washed out a bit.

Edit. Hrs later.

Got the Vizio P50-C1. Tablet wouldn't connect to wifi. Said just a sec for over an hr after I typed in correct password. This was not the 5g network I have. So skipped everything from then on. Once to home screen I went to setup and connected to my 5g network just fine. Just got done updating firmware on tablet. Rebooting now.

Love the tablet. The back feels nice and screen nice with decent ppi.

Back in a bit.

Boy. A bit later and tablet still shows the installing system update screen. This is going on well over 5 minutes now. Huh?

Back. Took a bit but finished. TV shows Add your Google account so that's next.

Watched tv show Hogans Hereos and there's flicker like when the camera changes scenes fast and also flicker/something when the camera moves sometimes. Not an issue on my Panasonic 3D Plasma TV from a few years ago. $2600 new I think but I got it one or so year after it came out as floor model for $1200. Rated best tv the year it came out. Then my other tv is a few years old LG 55" 3D LED with no issue either. So I'm guessing this is the refresh rate being so bad at 60hz. I am guessing. So I'm planning to return it for the P55-C1 Vizio and try it or get that Sony to try. No idea what I should do.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you read the P series owner's thread, you will see some complaints about flicker induced by the FALD system on the 50. It's inherent in FALD that's there's some slight delay in dimming switching that can be more pronounced with some material (fast-moving, low-light) and it seems to be more noticeable on some 50's and is either a case of panel variations (panel lottery) or some (a few) being more sensitive to it. It does seem likely that it's related to 60 vs. 120 hz. The 55 should be better in this regard. And the IPS panel is said to be capable of very good black performance in a dark room- most owners say the relatively higher black levels are not a significant detriment. There are reports that it has slightly better (more saturated) colors as well. There have been reports of some 55's having flashlighting in the corners on material w/ black bars, but this seems to be another of those panel lottery issues and most 55's have reportedly been fine. Again, the viewing angles on the 55 won't be world's better than the VA panels, but it's about the best you can do w/ an LCD these days- more a matter of feet than inches I'd imagine, but not tons of feet. How is your 50 w/ viewing angles?

I'd recommend you ask questions in the P owners thread and read at least page one- where there's tons of stickies w/ common issues/questions. It's like a FAQ.

It's nice to be able to try these out at home and see how certain sets work in your specific viewing environment, as you can't judge them in the stores. It's a pain to have to return them- and these days most all brands seem to have some issues that are subject to panel lottery, which makes returning necessary in more cases, but as long as you don't a ton of returns the stores will accommodate and you should be able to arrive at a good solution, while understanding there's no such thing as a perfect display and each involves deciding which positives and compromises fit you best. It really seems to me that the P series is incredible bang-for-buck (esp. if you plan to spend for HDR content), but it may take a little more effort to find the best size/panel. There seems to be some consensus that the P65 is the best, most issue-free panel in the P series, but that's a big step up in size and price for you.

Good luck- you can't go too wrong w/ whatever you choose, since you can always return; you just have to be willing to spend the time/effort. But put in the time and you'll likely find something that can give you great service. Consider getting a square trade warranty for $89 to keep you covered for a total of 4 years.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. Thank you. The P50 viewing angle is fine.

I'm really liking the tablet. Wish it was for $75 or so on its own.

I'm getting the Sony or a Samsung now probably. I don't know still. Ugh!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wow. Thank you. The P50 viewing angle is fine.

I'm really liking the tablet. Wish it was for $75 or so on its own.

I'm getting the Sony or a Samsung now probably. I don't know still. Ugh!

If so, there'd be no worries about the P55 then...

Good luck w/ your next choice. Let us know what differences you see. Just enjoy the shopping experience: look at it as getting to play w/ all these fancy new toys until you find the bestest, then get to play w/ that for years' knowing you got the one you liked most.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Sony 850D one. Much better then the Vizio P50-C1. No flicker and colors much better by default.

I don't know about picture calibration so I leave the settings alone if possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the Sony 850D one. Much better then the Vizio P50-C1. No flicker and colors much better by default.

I don't know about picture calibration so I leave the settings alone if possible.

If that doesn't work out for you, Bestbuy has the LG 55UH7700 for $999.99 this week. I think that is the cheapest TV that supports Dolby Vision and HDR 10. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-silver/4953902.p?id=bb4953902&skuId=4953902

1 - 20 of 55 Posts