AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks. Tukwila doesn't carry it. But it's ok.

Would the Xbox One S do much with my new Sony TV? I already know about 4K gaming comes with project Scorpio. I know about UHD bluray but no money yet to buy movies. I know about HDR games are not here yet.

But I just read an article that Xbox One S UI is 4K on a 4K tv. And I know games I have wont do much if anything with the Xbox One S.

Well I don't really know other then some reading I've done.

One thing I'm curious on is Elite Dangerous being any better considering I think it's an unlocked frame rate game and might be a bit better on the S.

Is Netflix 4K free with my Netflix 2 screen account? I read the Netflix app on the tv does 4K on some titles and the Xbox one s Netflix app does too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sony's 850 is much worse than the Vizio P-series and the Samsung KS8000 to my eyes. The colors look a bit more rich on the 850D but the edge lit vs FALD was a huge difference in picture quality. Personally I ended up with the Samsung KS8000 (a lot of that due to having success with old Samsung TV's). The other reason I went with the Samsung was due to the tablet and the Vizio not being a "TV." That is in the sense that everything is cast through the tablet (or the app if you go that way heh). When I was buying I spent a lot of time on RTings.com as well if you want some more opinions on stuff. If you want my plus and minuses from my shopping continue reading;

Vizio
+Both HDR-10 and Dolby Vision support
+FALD
+Price to quality ratio (one of the best out there).
+Blacks, best blacks until you get up to much more expensive sets
-Colors, I think the other brands have better colors just in the default demo modes
-Tablet casting
-The upscalling is no where near as good as the other sets
-HDR-10 is only available via HDMI right now and not casting. This is supposed to be updated but IMHO HDR-10 is going to beat out DV if they go head to head (again my opinion).

Samsung
+Better colors
+Better upscalling
+better motion handling
+Tizen (I am a fan of their OS)
+One Connect box, for my room this means all my wires are hidden which I like.
-Not FALD so in a dark room it looks worse (I have enough ambient light so it's OK)
-Edge lit
-Smart remote (I hate this thing)

Sony (I was looking at the 930D)
+Still edge lit but different Sony only system that was actually approaching FALD
+Colors, Sony I think might have had the best green
+3D (though it is obvious this tech is dying IMHO)
-Blacks were the worst
-Android TV (their OS was the worst in my opinion)
-Price (the 930D was $1000 more than my other options)

Like I said these are my opinions after evaluating the TV's in store with 4K, HDR, 1080p and 1080i content. I ended up originally buying the LG OLED first but couldn't justify the $2000 price difference so I went with the Samsung. It will be delivered tomorrow and I will be watching a lot for the next few weeks (I have 45 days to return stuff at Best Buy lol). If the Samsung has serious light bleed issues (which I hear is a possibility) then I will probably switch to the P-series.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. Tukwila doesn't carry it. But it's ok.

Would the Xbox One S do much with my new Sony TV? I already know about 4K gaming comes with project Scorpio. I know about UHD bluray but no money yet to buy movies. I know about HDR games are not here yet.

But I just read an article that Xbox One S UI is 4K on a 4K tv. And I know games I have wont do much if anything with the Xbox One S.

Well I don't really know other then some reading I've done.

One thing I'm curious on is Elite Dangerous being any better considering I think it's an unlocked frame rate game and might be a bit better on the S.

Is Netflix 4K free with my Netflix 2 screen account? I read the Netflix app on the tv does 4K on some titles and the Xbox one s Netflix app does too.

You have to have the four screen plan for $11.99 to get 4K on Netflix. That is the plan is am on now.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm sad. Angry. This is not fun. I am in so much stress and major anxiety in the last year. I'm moving into an apartment this week probably.

I have 2 awesome tv currently. But not 4K. And it seems no tv for like $1500 or less is as good as ones I have with directv and non 4K. Bb only shows 4K. I don't care about 4K except for the future. I already know any 4K is going to be better then the tvs I have already. But it seems hard to get something better for non 4K.

The Plasma TV I have is -
Panasonic. March 2012. 55" 3D. TC-P55GT50. Awesome TV.

My LG TV is 55" LED 3D. Awesome as well. Model 55LM7600.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Will the Vizio p55 still have the same flicker and other weird thing when camera changes scenes or pans? I was getting this in hogans Hereos as I said before. And with the better 120hz refresh rate I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Anyone?
The Sony refresh rate sucks too. Still notice stuff when things move fast. Why are plasma the only good tv out? Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok. I'm wanting to try the Vizio P55-C1 and Samsung 55" KS8000.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the Samsung 55"KS9000. The Sony seemed clearer and not so blurry when watching Hogans Hereos. Not sure.

I can't really tell how the tvs are to be honest. I'm just watching DirecTV for now.

One thing I don't like is motion blur. When people move fast or the camera pans or changes fast there's a bit something that I don't like.

I understand I need to calibrate the tv but I know nothing. I can only put in settings given in an article online or from others and hope things work well.

The two things that bother me the most is judder and motion blur. I hate those. But I know I can change settings. Just don't know what to change to.

And the two tvs I already have are very good. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow. No more response.
I got the lg oled 55" b6 last night. But it still isn't any better at non 4K then my Panny plasma or the lg I have from a few years ago. Weird.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Rtingings said no current tv will do much if any better on directv over my plasma.

What's better for gaming and directv? I know any HDR and 4K is better. That will look as good or better then my Panasonic p55gt50? I would need help with swinging s to remove noise, judder and motion blur. I'm clueless.
55"/65".
Vizio p65
Samsung ks8000/8500/9000/9500?
Sony 900/950?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Tried the Sony 930d 65". Had bad motion issues and noise or something related to motion in people faces. Couldn't get rid of it. Colors saturation was strong and good. There were lines it seemed all over and something in the top left of the screen I noticed during setup sometimes and very faint. In the middle there were two lines top to bottom about a foot wide apart. So I exchanged it for the Vizio P65-C1.

Much better in regards to motion blur. There's still something in people faces when they move but not lines like on the edge of their bodies and faces. Annoying though. Color a bit more soft in the tv. I've tried a few pictures modes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sad. Angry. This is not fun. I am in so much stress and major anxiety in the last year. I'm moving into an apartment this week probably.

I have 2 awesome tv currently. But not 4K. And it seems no tv for like $1500 or less is as good as ones I have with directv and non 4K. Bb only shows 4K. I don't care about 4K except for the future. I already know any 4K is going to be better then the tvs I have already. But it seems hard to get something better for non 4K.

The Plasma TV I have is -
Panasonic. March 2012. 55" 3D. TC-P55GT50. Awesome TV.

My LG TV is 55" LED 3D. Awesome as well. Model 55LM7600.

Buggs-

We're leading somewhat parallel lives, in terms of led's at least, lol. I have the same LG as you, 55LM7600. Its a few years old, 55", has the magic remote as well. I recently bought the 55" Samsung KS800D from Costco. I spent a couple days tweeking the settings. In the end it was only marginally better (say, 5-10%) than the LG. Text and graphics were a little better, blues and greens popped a little more. But watching them side by side using an hdmi splitter (amazon) didn't give me the impression that the $12xx I paid for it was worth it.

Of course keep in mind that the demo videos they play on these tv's look *really* good. They were shot with the best equipment, and edited for maximum quality. But who gets that type of quality watching 90+% of tv programming out there?

Enter the Vizio and Sony mentioned above. BB has me convinced the Sony will be better, now not so sure, especially reading the rtings.com review. In some ways the Vizio P55 should be better (backlighting, ips), but seems more people rate the Samsung (I have sitting in a box) higher.

So, maybe we're in the same boat. Maybe the LGs we have are 95% of the mid level tvs in this thread. Maybe we both want to be ready for more 4k content, but its not everywhere yet. If I can't find an led under $1500 that will be worth it, I'll just get a 65" or 70" led to replace my downstairs family room projector setup.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also, I feel your pain trying the different led's. I know its a pain to bring them home, set them up, then return, etc.... I know you've said you don't know what your doing setting them up. Maybe your jumping around too much trying different tv's without really tweeking them to get them to where you like them? There's a calibration dvd you can buy (can't remember the name now). That would give you a better baseline then taking a stab at settings. Going through these setups dvds give you insight into what different settings do.

Also, by jumping from tv to tv your not really giving yourself a chance to acclimate to the current tv. Which is a way of saying your a) not getting used to its deficiencies, or b) not fully appreciating its advantages. !

Maybe you should stick with the Panasonic or LG for now. Does your setup have any other weak links (speakers, home theater amp, ...) where money could be better spent?

Just my $.02! :)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts