AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to purchase a tv for my apartment bedroom. I am looking at something between 27"-32". I am considering Direct View tube and LCD. Some models I have looked at are the Sony tubes, the syntax olevia, vizio 32" and a few others that are compareable. The most I really want to spend is $1200. I would prefer to spend less. I will be using this tv primarily for next gen gaming but also will be watching tv/dvds on it. I have one fairly large window in my room that will be covered with blinds. I mention this because I heard different tvs react differently with lighting. I would like peoples input on which tv would be best suited for me or if I should wait if there are/is a new tv on the horizon that would be better suited. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dutch, you can get what you are looking for and spend a whole lot less than $1200. I am going to give you a little advice that may seem weird at first, but I would definitely give it a shot.

I would go to Wal-Mart to take a look at an HDTV purchase, especially if you are looking at getting a CRT HDTV. Myself personally, if I was going to purchase an HDTV in the 25-32" range, I would only be looking at CRT (tube) HDTV's as they give great pictures and are much much cheaper than LCD TV's of the same size.

I was at my local Wal-Mart supercenter the other day and eyed a few 30" 720p models and all were in the $600 range. From what I remember, there were some pretty good brands.

All that being said, you certainly do not have to purchase at Wal-Mart, I only suggest it because that is the LAST place most people would think to shop for an HDTV. You would be surprised at their selection and price. Anyhow, my main point to you would be to stick with a CRT HDTV as you will get a great picture with plenty of features for about half the price of a similarly sized LCD TV.

Now take all those savings from going CRT instead of LCD and buy yourself a brand new 360 when it comes out! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch12
I am currently looking to purchase a tv for my apartment bedroom. I am looking at something between 27"-32". I am considering Direct View tube and LCD. Some models I have looked at are the Sony tubes, the syntax olevia, vizio 32" and a few others that are compareable. The most I really want to spend is $1200. I would prefer to spend less. I will be using this tv primarily for next gen gaming but also will be watching tv/dvds on it. I have one fairly large window in my room that will be covered with blinds. I mention this because I heard different tvs react differently with lighting. I would like peoples input on which tv would be best suited for me or if I should wait if there are/is a new tv on the horizon that would be better suited. Thank you in advance.
You would probably be wise to redirect this question to the Direct view CRT board -- you'll get plenty of responses there. Firstly, in your price range, nothing tops the picture quality of a direct view CRT (so long as you can stand owning a TV that weighs up to 150 lbs).

And as far as direct view CRT's are concerned, Sony still makes the best quality CRT's and they were forced to drop the MSRP on most of them a few months ago due to the fact that brands like Samsung have successfully undersold them. The entry 30" Sony CRT is the 30HS420, with an MSRP of $899. They have higher quality ones as well, the XS955 and XBR960. The HS420, even though its their entry CRT HDTV, still has better picture quality than any of the non-Sony's. Now, there are other great sets that are cheaper and don't look much worse than the Sony and can match it on features. Look at the Samsungs or perhaps the Sanyos (sold only at wal-mart) and compare to see if the difference is noticeable to you (though keep in mind that all in-store sets need to be calibrated properly to be judged fairly).

Also, I hate to make things more complicated, but don't forget surround sound. In my opinion, it's just as big of an upgrade as HDTV is, and it greatly enhances video games & DVD's. If you go for one of the cheaper HDTV's, consider leaving room in your budget for a nice HTIB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.