Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

For a Christmas present, I bought a nice dvd player for sister, who was laid off some time ago, and my two nieces, as I dont want them to be without the basics. The problem is,they would have no way to listen to the sound except thru the television, which is just too pathetic for me to allow. And so, the only strategy I can think of, at a reasonable cost, to add some reasonably decent quality sound for them is to buy a powered, PC speaker system, and run the sound from the dvd player into that.

Since I've already popped for the dvd player (a Sony NS500V) my remaining budget for the speakers is a maximum of $75.00. After a bit of research, I decided on the Cambridge Soundworks system, which is on sale for $69.95 (regular $99.95). However, when I attempted to purchase them on line, this past weekend, I got a notice that they are out of stock and wont be delivered by Christmas.

Now I'm in a quandary, as to what to get instead. I want clear, distinct sound, with good bass, and obviously, a fair bit of power to assure that it all is delivered effectively. A friend of mine has a set of Labtec Pulse 424's, which might not be too bad, but they seem to be discontinued, and I am sure the Cambridge was better, in terms of clarity.

What can you suggest? And yes, I would love to get them a 5.1 system, or even a 4.1, or 3.1 (is there a 3.1?) but for the money I can afford to spend, those aren't happening. Whats the best value in a 2.1 system out there? It has to be pretty good, as its not going to sit a foot or two away, as in pc use, but probably 10 feet away for watching dvds.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Take a look at Logitech's Z540 speaker system...its priced at $119.95 CDN

so you should be able to find it for half of that, no? 4 sats and a sub. What more can ya ask for?:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.