AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kicking the idea around of selling my existing 16x2 VFD display that came with my DIGN case to upgrade to a 20x2 or 20x4 display (I like to have those extra characters..:cool:). I do not plan to increase the size of the hole in the faceplate and I still want to use the IR diode (6x6mm - 1/4x1/4â€) that “looks†through the hole, so the display area of the VFD needs to be at least by the size of the IR diode thinner than the hole in the faceplate.

Any recommendations? A Matrix Orbital perhaps? Which model?

Thanks!

______

Axel

·
Registered
207 Posts
This message is for Thomas in case he still follows this forum, since he doesn't get back to me when I use his Hikino email address

On the one year anniversay of my DIGN case shipping date, I just want to say that It would be nice if Thomas could try to collect the insurance money from the shipper, since I was not able to. I need a recipt that I don't have, but Thomas does.

It's $250 worth. Thomas can you please help.

Thanks,

audiovideodude

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Viking2000
Why not a pixel-based VFD? Then you can display whatever symbols you like. Don't ask me about software for it though.
In general, I am all for it.

But I want to use existing SW - I simply do not have the skills to write or tweak it first. E.g. piecing together what is currently out there for Girder is pretty much all I can do... unfortunately it seems to work only properly with 20x2 but not with 16x2 displays...:(

______

Axel

·
Registered
901 Posts
Girder works well with the Matrix Orbital 4x20 that I have. The Girder plugin supports the VFD directly and doesn't need LCDriver. THe latest example gml files include Motherboard Monitor info and Weather info. It's really come along way and works great.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon;

What case are you using? (A DIGN by any chance...?)

What is the VFD model #?

Which plugins /file are you using? I want to display TT and MBM info, so I followed a "recipe" from our fellow forum member MMcM and installed those plugins:

DVDSpy

LCD

AlarmTimer

MBM

Switch

and DVD2LCD2.GML

If I only could get it to work properly with my 16x2 display I would be happy. It seems this GML is written for a 20x2 only so it suppresses the last 4 characters in a 16x2 display. I am not Girder literate at all so I posted at the Girder forum and here in another thread for some help - unfortunately w/o response. My (desperate) plan now it to upgrade to a 20x2 display in order to use this GML...

Thanks!

______

Axel

·
Registered
901 Posts
Axel,

I have an Antec KS-780B with a custom face plate and the Matrix Orbital VFD 2041.

I am using DVDSpy along with the LCD plugin, MBM, Alarm Timer and some others. I use the DVD2LCD4.gml file as this is setup for 4 line usage.

Downgrading the GML file to support a 16x2 should be fairly easy. You need to go into the various girder commands and see what the LCD plugin is doing. There are two ways to diaply, one way is to state what line and position something is displayed, the other is a kind of mapped version.

The LCD plugin works with with LCDriver or natively, although you do need a supported diaply for the native method.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Axel,

I have a Ahanix D-Vine case, which appears to be the same as the DIGN-4. I put a Matrix Orbital 20x2 display into my case and it works great. Using the same "recipe" as you I had it working straight away. I want to modify some of the Winamp displays to have the track title on one line and the state (Play 1/2) with the time on one line. I haven't gotten around to that as I'm getting a plasma display on Saturday...

I had to do some light modifications to the case with a jigsaw (my wife loved that) but it was simple and like I said it looks great (with the front of the case attached). However, I didn't think there was any room to put an IR sensor inside, as the display and its electronics seem to fill most of the room left. I'll attach some pics. Note my jigsaw work wasn't sterling, but it was good enough. I used the plastic inserts that came with the case and used those to attach the VFD to the case. If you really need pictures of that, I can remove the case front again and take some happy snaps.

Hope this helps,

Kyle

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Kyle;

This sounds/looks promising.

Concerning the IR diode: I only would need some 6x6mm - 1/4x1/4†either on the left or on the right side. Couldn't I glue it on the PCB of the VFD? My current VFD has actually a little hole where the diode fit right in.

I also think that the D-Vine and the DIGN case are the same, only difference being the face plate.

BTW: My case already looks like a Swiss cheese: I installed a 80mm fan in the lower right corner of the case - cutting off big chunks of metal. So I am not hesitant to cut even more holes in it... but I do not want to touch the face plate.

Thanks!

_____

Axel

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll try and crack open the case and check this weekend. I think if the sensor is that small you will be able to get it to fit, but I'll check it out and take a snap for you.

Kyle

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After some more "spec. checking" and measuring I decided to give the VFD2041 (20x4) a try. I got it yesterday, installed it, and it fits just fine even with the IR receiver next to it. I am very pleased. Now I need to tweak the MMcM gml a bit to get MBM working also during non idle (any hints?) as well as get the CPU load and not only the temps to display (any hints here??).

I now have the original 16x2VFD that I bought together with the case a some 4 months ago spare. Anybody interested, please pm me. I will up it up on Ebay or the Special AVS Sales area otherwise.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After some more "spec. checking" and measuring I decided to give the VFD2041 (4x20) a try. I got it yesterday, installed it, and it fits just fine even with the IR receiver next to it. I am very pleased. Now I need to tweak the MMcM gml a bit to get MBM working also during non idle (any hints?) as well as get the CPU load and not only the temps to display (any hints here??).

I now have the original 16x2VFD that I bought together with the case a some 4 months ago spare. Anybody interested, please pm me. Otherwise I will up it up on Ebay or the Special AVS Sales area.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Wow, impressive! I hadn't imagined a 4x20 display would fit in the small opening the case provides.:cool:

Thanks for the picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.