AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ATI all-in-wonder series of cards (including Radeon) can accept an S-video signal in, adjust the black level and contrast, and pass the signal out again. But the quality is too fuzzy for my eyes. Seems like they low-pass filter the signal. What PC-based video card does not cause this degradation? (It does not have to be the primary display card or even a display card at all, just under $300).

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK folks, short of buying a TBC-based board (which would hog another of my valuable PCI slots), I found that the Pinnacle DV500 Plus does the trick. This is a capture card in the $500 price range and offers a loop-through connection for S-video, with hue, sharpness, saturation, contrast, and brightness controls in a dialog box.

One interesting sidelight- this card passes through macrovision colorstripe, so you can't attach a DMR-E20 or any other macrovision-sensitive recorder to the S-video output. BUT, the Pinnacle board CAN record straight from a dvd player (to an AVI file), which means that as a capture device, it ignores both levels of macrovision protection. Cool, huh?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes
OK folks, short of buying a TBC-based board (which would hog another of my valuable PCI slots), I found that the Pinnacle DV500 Plus does the trick. This is a capture card in the $500 price range and offers a loop-through connection for S-video, with hue, sharpness, saturation, contrast, and brightness controls in a dialog box.

Well, that may be would be a great thing for my laserdisc's.

Let us know if you try one.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you are intested I have a DV500 I am looking to sell

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Geforce TI 4600 has very good S video in and out and using WINDVD Recorder program gives an excellent picture at 1280x720. Unhappily you can only control brightness with this program.

Media Center will allow control of brightness, contrast color, but not gamma. also picture is slightly softer than WINDVD. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.