AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for your input. With regards to the floor, both the current house and new house have concrete under the carpet. Room performance is fantastic. Maybe it’s a case of “you always want what you don’t have”, but as you guessed I’m thinking strongly about having SOME level of openness.

Here’s the entire basement as it is drawn now. The wall on one side is foundation and the other is load bearing so width is fixed.

Man.. let me just say.. That basement is huge and looks awesome and I am jealous.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Man.. let me just say.. That basement is huge and looks awesome and I am jealous.

Thanks! We actually like in the same house now...this one is just a little wider and styled different on the outside. The misses wants a pool and our current lot won’t accommodate. We found this great lot in a cul-de-sac that’s inside all the same school boundaries so we jumped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Alright, so I think I've decided on a concept and would love any input. See attached...my thought is to pull the "back wall" about 3 feet in to the room, and on the living room side of the wall put a bar with builtins on either side. You'll be able to sit at the bar, and look through an opening in to the theater room. On the theater side, we'll put a blackout curtain that we can pull across the opening if we want to isolate the space more.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear any feedback on it...but I think this will accomplish the somewhat open concept we want with the room, while still being able to accommodate it being more a private space when we want to as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alright, so I think I've decided on a concept and would love any input. See attached...my thought is to pull the "back wall" about 3 feet in to the room, and on the living room side of the wall put a bar with builtins on either side. You'll be able to sit at the bar, and look through an opening in to the theater room. On the theater side, we'll put a blackout curtain that we can pull across the opening if we want to isolate the space more.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear any feedback on it...but I think this will accomplish the somewhat open concept we want with the room, while still being able to accommodate it being more a private space when we want to as well.
Maybe, just a thought, you could have a motorized wall at the back something like what I have drawn so you could have the best of both worlds. If designed correctly it would work well. However, it would depend on your budget.

Carey

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alright - so we're 99% decided upon this layout. Probably 99.9%. I've got 4 sons (2 of which are almost teenagers), and I don't want them having a dark, closed off room to hang out with girls in...LOL. Plus, I think it will get a lot more use this way. I'm going to do a coffered ceiling just like I have in my current theater, and hide the projector in there. That will save it from getting nailed by any flying balls while the kids do their thing in the living room, and I think it looks really cool having the PJ hidden.

So - what I need to decide now (and fast) is how I'm going to do the speaker layout. Do I do 3 LCR's in the front (thinking dual 6" woofers), a pair of 8" in walls for the sides (I will pre-wire for atmos)...but what for the back? Something in ceiling I'd guess?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Specifications for ATMOS mean you don't want to elevate your surrounds, as that messes up the surround sound field.

Why plant the front row on a riser? I would skip that, and go with a lower stage if necessary, and simply call it budget for some other feature.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Specifications for ATMOS mean you don't want to elevate your surrounds, as that messes up the surround sound field.

Why plant the front row on a riser? I would skip that, and go with a lower stage if necessary, and simply call it budget for some other feature.

The room is 22’ feet deep. I was planning to have the BACK row on the riser, with a row in front of that. My current room is something like 18’ feet deep as has two rows, so I figured with this depth I’d get two rows plus the bar. The people at the bar aren’t going to have the best audio experience as technically they’ll be sitting outside of the room. I’m not some crazy audiophile and honestly will probably never do anything beyond 7.2, but figured it doesn’t hurt to pre-wire for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,841 Posts
If you are going for 7.2 the rear channels will need to be in the ceiling. While I understand the reasons for doing an open room, that is what I did when I was young and foolish. I regret it today. Any new theater built today should at least put in the wires for ceiling channels What we call Atmos today, in a decade who knows.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you are going for 7.2 the rear channels will need to be in the ceiling. While I understand the reasons for doing an open room, that is what I did when I was young and foolish. I regret it today. Any new theater built today should at least put in the wires for ceiling channels What we call Atmos today, in a decade who knows.
Thanks for the input. I have a closed off room today, and it doesn't get nearly enough use so I'm trying something different this time. I'll absolutely wire for Atmos.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
"44 views and not a single opinion or insight from someone who has had an "open" theater? Is there a better way for me to go about soliciting feedback?"

Does one actually need much more feedback then Big's? ;)

Sometimes the open room is just a stepping stone to something bigger and better, down the road. There may come a time where you might enclose the space, and
speaker wire/backer boxes with a solid plan for that future, can a cheap investment for a possible future option.

Gotcha on the two rows+ riser. I guess Neoridium's drawing kind of threw me off the trail, as well as following a lot of builds.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm thinking maybe you need to figure out why you don't use the dedicated room as much as you'd like? You may find an open concept room won't get used anymore than the closed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm thinking maybe you need to figure out why you don't use the dedicated room as much as you'd like? You may find an open concept room won't get used anymore than the closed.
We've thought about that a ton, and the reality is there's a level of effort in going in there, there's the fact that we're very social and some people want the "big tv" while others have a stronger desire to be in and out, up and down, etc... It's hard to do that in a dedicated room.

Am I crazy and are we unique, or does that make sense to others? We've got 4 boys and there's often a dozen kids at our house. We have adults friends and their kids that come over...we use the TV's all the time as we can mill around and what not - we don't often devote to sitting down for 2 hours and it's disruptive to everyone in the theater when you're opening/closer the door, etc... I feel like this will eliminate that.

Reactions: brazensol

·
Registered
124 Posts
We've thought about that a ton, and the reality is there's a level of effort in going in there, there's the fact that we're very social and some people want the "big tv" while others have a stronger desire to be in and out, up and down, etc... It's hard to do that in a dedicated room.

Am I crazy and are we unique, or does that make sense to others? We've got 4 boys and there's often a dozen kids at our house. We have adults friends and their kids that come over...we use the TV's all the time as we can mill around and what not - we don't often devote to sitting down for 2 hours and it's disruptive to everyone in the theater when you're opening/closer the door, etc... I feel like this will eliminate that.
It makes sense, but then question the idea of a theater room if you are so social. My wife and are are very social outside the house, but always make a point of at minimum 2 nights at home just us, and we are huge movie people, so it was a no brainer for a theater room. Not to mention nights where the other spouse is busy and when home alone consists of zoning out watching TV or a movie.

If you are more social with having people over it seems that what you are looking for is just an open basement with a bar, social area/game area, and then a really nice big TV or goo ambient light projector so everyone can mingle. Sounds more like what I expect to find at a superbowl party. Not saying not to ddo your theater, but it definitely sounds like your family isn't setup to truly enjoy a dedicated theater, and it sounds like you admit that as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It makes sense, but then question the idea of a theater room if you are so social. My wife and are are very social outside the house, but always make a point of at minimum 2 nights at home just us, and we are huge movie people, so it was a no brainer for a theater room. Not to mention nights where the other spouse is busy and when home alone consists of zoning out watching TV or a movie.

If you are more social with having people over it seems that what you are looking for is just an open basement with a bar, social area/game area, and then a really nice big TV or goo ambient light projector so everyone can mingle. Sounds more like what I expect to find at a superbowl party. Not saying not to ddo your theater, but it definitely sounds like your family isn't setup to truly enjoy a dedicated theater, and it sounds like you admit that as well.
Which is precisely why I'm doing it this way. The dedicated room is great when we use it, but we don't use it all that often and feel like this will get use a lot more.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Could you do some corners, in the back, to host ATMOS rear surrounds, and leave the rest open? That might cost you a seat in the back row.

The entry/exit disruption could be solved with an entry like The Savoy's. Until I actually saw it in use, I never fully grasped just how awesome it actually is.

If you built to high standards, with a solid plan, you could always enclose the room down the road, if ever so desired. I am firmly in the dedicated camp. Had the beautiful
open concept basement and it was always a volume issue, with nobody being happy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Could you do some corners, in the back, to host ATMOS rear surrounds, and leave the rest open? That might cost you a seat in the back row.

The entry/exit disruption could be solved with an entry like The Savoy's. Until I actually saw it in use, I never fully grasped just how awesome it actually is.

If you built to high standards, with a solid plan, you could always enclose the room down the road, if ever so desired. I am firmly in the dedicated camp. Had the beautiful
open concept basement and it was always a volume issue, with nobody being happy.
Are you saying to essentially create a vestibule?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I was just thinking some small floor to ceiling walls, so one could aim some speakers, either behind AT fabric, or just on speaker brackets that allow you to aim the speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, I don't know that there's much point in posting progress here as it doesn't seem to interesting compared to what others here are doing, but the drywall is up and things are moving along nicely. Here's a couple of quick cell phone pics. For now, I've decided NOT to do a stage, but I'm wondering if I'm going to regret that and may call an audible...putting a stage in at the last minute. They serve no purpose other than looking cool, but they sure do look cool!

At any rate, I ended up going with the bar behind the riser. I think it's going to turn out great. I set the bar in to the theater a bit, so when you're sitting/standing at the bar you're still in the theater/out of the living room. The 2 windows in the living room that the theater opens up to, will have motorized blackout shades on them, so when I want to I really darken the space. I have DMX LED Strip light going behind crown molding inside of the trayed ceiling, and also on the underside of the bar (those metal rod looking things are to support the bars countertop). I put the rear surrounds out behind the bar, so when standing at the bar you still have them behind you.

Hope to be in the house 2.5 months from now. Things are starting to happen quick!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I personally think clean neat lines, can indeed be interesting. But I bet the screen and lighting will add lots of drama on their own and that room will
indeed look awesome.

I like stages, but I actually prefer the simplistic look of a large video image floating on a black hole of a screen wall.

But even a straight and low and shallow stage can change the look of a room.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So, hoping some people will see this. I'm getting ready to order my screen, projector and AVR.

I did Monitor Audio speakers and Episode subs. Those are all installed (subs are still in the box as we haven't carpeted yet) and ready to rock.

As far as these other items go, I'm leaning towards the Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with the thin velvet bezel and Slate 1.2 AT fabric. For the PJ, the Epson 6050. Lastly, the AVR I think I've settled on is the Integra 5.3.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions for other items I should consider over these? The only real sense of pause I have is around the screen. Those are sweet, but that's a chunk of change. I could save some money and go with the Fixed 5 screen - same material, but no light kit and a fatter bezel.

Thanks in advance for your input.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts