AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,


For my current HT set up:

Quote:
Sharp BD-HP20 Blu-Ray player. I have the video on HDMI going straight to my Sharp Aquos 46" LCD TV and audio over coaxial digital to a Sony STR-DE898 receiver. Mainly because of a lack of HDMI on the Sony. And my speakers are a cheap set of Kenwoods that came as a 5.1 HT package back around 1999. The receiver crapped out, so hence the Sony.

I am thouroughly unimpressed with the Sony atm. I also know that my speakers need an upgrade as well. These are my main 2 items of interest.


For AVR I want something that will make my wife and I go "damn"! I want positional audio, good surround sound if you will. I don't really need more than 1 zone, but most of the better AVR's I have looked at have 2-3. Only 3 things will be hooked up; Blu-Ray Player, HD DVR cable box and a Wii. Preferably all through HDMI, minus the Wii of course. I just want 1 cable going to my TV. The wife really hates seeing cables. It could sound like poop, but if the cables were hidden she'd like it. I don't really care myself.


I have been in awe of the Onkyo models. Especially since they have them at the Fry's across the street from me. But reading the reviews here make me cautious of the new models. I have never owned a "good" HT. Always have had to settle on the cheapest available. I could go an all-in-one package, but I want better. I want the best I can afford really.


I'm in the US Navy and spend a lot of time away from home. I need something that sounds great AND works all the time. I don't want to have to reset something just for it to work all the time. I do that enough on my ship.


I have my eye on the TX-NR5007. But if there is something similar with zero problems, I would love that. I believe the heart of a good HT is the AVR. I'm putting most of my work into this. I'll figure out speakers after I decide on an AVR. Would probably make choosing speakers easier that way.


Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any opinions or suggestion are welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one has an opinion or any input for me?


Reading through all these threads makes my head hurt LOL!


I think I want to set up my new living room with a 5.1 set up with height speakers. Width would be cool, but having them on the sides would be right where my 2 year old could play with them. The room is much wider then it is deep.


In the picture, my wall unit entertainment center will be along the left wall where the couch is. Facing the french doors that lead to the back yard and pool. I'm definitley going to have to get curtains for this room! So, front speakers can go adjacent to the entertainment center and surround can go on the wall behind. My wife wants to set up our modular couch in an "L" shape with the open end to the fire place. Center can be on the shelf with the TV, currently a Sharp Aqous 46" LCD. And Height can go on top of the entertainment center, which would be about 7 feet high.


I want an AVR with top notch sound and positional audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick /forum/post/18175626


...I believe the heart of a good HT is the AVR. I'm putting most of my work into this. I'll figure out speakers after I decide on an AVR. Would probably make choosing speakers easier that way.


Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any opinions or suggestion are welcome.

If you have spent any time on this site you will know that most of us will argue about most anything. But one thing that nobody would argue with is that speakers are vastly more important than a receiver in any HT or music system. Set a budget, and then buy the best speakers you can afford with the majority of it. Electronics are cool but speakers are what the sound is all about. Audition as many as you can. As long as the receiver has the features you want, they all pretty much sound the same as long as they are driven in spec. Ask anybody; what would you rather have, an average receiver with great speakers or average speakers with an expensive receiver. The answer is always the speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18191981


If you have spent any time on this site you will know that most of us will argue about most anything. But one thing that nobody would argue with is that speakers are vastly more important than a receiver in any HT or music system. Set a budget, and then buy the best speakers you can afford with the majority of it. Electronics are cool but speakers are what the sound is all about. Audition as many as you can. As long as the receiver has the features you want, they all pretty much sound the same as long as they are driven in spec. Ask anybody; what would you rather have, an average receiver with great speakers or average speakers with an expensive receiver. The answer is always the speakers.

+1. what is your overall budget?


i would definitely recommend spending the most on your speakers. if you want professional audio, then great speakers are the first step. You can easily find a receiver in the $500 range to power your setup just fine.


i just bought a pioneer elite vsx-23txh and it is a very nice receiver for the money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18192024


+1. what is your overall budget?


i would definitely recommend spending the most on your speakers. if you want professional audio, then great speakers are the first step. You can easily find a receiver in the $500 range to power your setup just fine.


i just bought a pioneer elite vsx-23txh and it is a very nice receiver for the money

I agree with this. All of it. Elite and good speakers FTW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alrighty then, thank you very much for the input. I guess I need to go make a post in the speaker forum now!


I have a good sized budget for setting up a Home Theater in my new house. 10K is probably the limit. I really want great sound, so speakers and an AVR are a must. Also want to upgrade my Sharp BD-HP20 and Sharp Aquos 46" LCD. Thinking the 55" Samsung 8500.


I am trying to keep my posts on topic, hence why I am asking about an AVR in this thread.


Am I correct in thinking that Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer are about the top 3 in my search for an AVR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
How big are you planning on having your HT room? You may want to check out the Yamaha RXZ11. Check out the official thread for details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the picture, my wall unit entertainment center will be along the left wall where the couch is. Facing the french doors that lead to the back yard and pool. I'm definitley going to have to get curtains for this room! So, front speakers can go adjacent to the entertainment center and surround can go on the wall behind. My wife wants to set up our modular couch in an "L" shape with the open end to the fire place. Center can be on the shelf with the TV, currently a Sharp Aqous 46" LCD. And Height can go on top of the entertainment center, which would be about 7 feet high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
As stated above, the speakers are THE most important part of any system. Since you have a very healthy budget, I have it on very good authority that these speakers are about the best for the money available anywhere right now.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick /forum/post/18200406


Alrighty then, thank you very much for the input. I guess I need to go make a post in the speaker forum now!


I have a good sized budget for setting up a Home Theater in my new house. 10K is probably the limit. I really want great sound, so speakers and an AVR are a must. Also want to upgrade my Sharp BD-HP20 and Sharp Aquos 46" LCD. Thinking the 55" Samsung 8500.


I am trying to keep my posts on topic, hence why I am asking about an AVR in this thread.


Am I correct in thinking that Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer are about the top 3 in my search for an AVR?

If you can put up to $1500 toward an AVR you can pick up a real powerhouse from any of the major makers. Especially if you shop for the sales. You should be able to snag a $2500 AVR for that kind of money if you just shop around. Good hunting. I envy you with that kind of budget! It is going to be a great system!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I think one of the best values out there is a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR876 from Accessories4less. For 850 Dollars (1800 MSRP), you get THX Ultra 2 Plus Certification, a very powerful amplifier section, Audyssey MultEQ XT, Reon Video Processing and much more.


If wanting something current the TX-NR3007 and TX-NR5007 step up to a 9.2

configuration, Internet Radio, and much more. Both these units continue to use the Reon Chip which really is one of the best. These Models are available from Accessories4less as well with a huge discount.


While these units are refurbished, they still offer a 1 Year Warranty, and I have not seen one that does not look brand new. I have read hardly any reports of problems with them. I have helped dozens of friends buy B-Stock Onkyo's and not a single one has had an issue and you save a fortune.

Cheers,

AD
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top